August 28, 1879
A meeting of person interest in the establishment of a church club for Everton was held last evening, in St. George’s schools, Northumberland Terrrace, the Rev. Canon Trench presiding. There was a good attendance. The chairman stated that the object of the proposed club was to afford an opportunity for social intercourse amongst its members, and to establish a centre of usefulness in connection with the Church of England in Everton.
A club has been in existence for some time at St. Saviours and one on a small scale at St. George’s but it was proposed to form the club, to be called “Everton United Church Club” for all the churches in the neighbourhood. A provisional committee which had been appointed had taken the premises 129, Heyworth Street, for the purpose of the club, and had secured the necessary funds for finishing. They now asked the co-operation of the Churchmen of the district to make the undertaking a success.
Mr. J.A. Smith, honorary secretary described the accommodation provided at the club-rooms. For literary purposes, rooms had been furnished and would supplied with newspapers periodicals, writing materials, &c., and arrangement were being made to hold a literacy Society in connection with his branch. For Social purposes, three rooms had been set apart for smoking, billiards, chess, draughts and other games – on the motion of Mr. Clarke Aspinall, seconded by the Rev R. D. Baron, a resolution that by the provisional committee for their efforts in forming the club was unanimously carried. A considerable number of members were afterwards enrolled. The club of which the Rev. Canon Trench has been appointed president, will be opened on Monday Next.
(Liverpool Mercury: August 29, 1879)