November 26, 1888
The sale of the Great Eastern is over, and, after a brief interval, all that will remain of the wonder will be its name, which assuredly will ever occupy a prominent place in maritime history. On Saturday, Mr. G.N. Dixon, the auctioneer, concluded the most important part of his onerous duties, which he has performed throughout with evident satisfaction to all concerned.
Of Saturday’s sale there is nothing that calls for special notice, except perhaps that the steam launch, that has done such good service during the past week or two in conveying visitors between the New Ferry stage and the Great Eastern, was secured by Mr. Atherton for £105. The total amount realised by the auction is from £58,000 to £60,000, – Mr. Dixon, when the last lot had been disposed of said, they had now come to the end of the sale, which had been very satisfactory to himself, and he hoped also to his excellent clients.
He would like to take the opportunity of thanking them in the first place for their exceeding kindess to him, and in the second place to offer his thanks to all who had attended the sale for the support they had extended to him throughout. When the Great Eastern was launched, 30 years ago, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the designer, Scott Russell, the builder, and Watts, the engineer, little though to what that magnificent specimen of marine architecture would come in so short a time. He did not know, however, that he regretted being instrumental in the breaking up of the vessel, because there was no doubt that the metal of which the Great Eastern was constructed was very carefully chosen and studied; and that at some future time a portion of this metal would be used in the construction of some great Atlantic line.
The bulwarks had been purchased by one of the most famous makers of wheels in Scotland; while the wire rigging was to be sent to “John Chinaman” to be made into nails (Laughter.) It was probable that an auctioneer never before had placed in his hands so large and peculiar a property to be sold without reserve, and he highly appreciated the confidence with which his clients had treated him.
He had also to acknowledge his indebtedness to Mr. E.W. Morrice, Captain Collier, and all connected with the ship for the valuable assistance they had given him in the cataloging of the vessel (Applause.)
Mr. Morrice (Messrs. Henry Bath and Co.) thanked the company for their attendance. Personally he was fairly satisfied with the result of the sale, and he thought the buyers were satisfied with their purchases. There would be a margin of profit to all concerned.
He thanked Mr. Dixon for the admirable manner in which he had conducted the whole thing. Mr. Dixon had retained his good temper under the most adverse circumstances (Hear, hear.)
Every facility would be given to buyers, who, he hoped, would show equal consideration, in the matter of the delivery of the various lots.
(Source: Liverpool Echo: November 26, 1888; via http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) © 2018 Findmypast Newspaper Archive Limited