June 26, 1891
The first smoking concert under the auspices of this recently formed amateur Association football club took place last night, at the Crooked Billet Restaurant, Exchange-street East, under the chairmanship of Mr. Lawson.
The programme was an extensive one, and much enjoyed, being well rendered by Messrs. Fairfield, R. Rogers, F.F. Mawdsley, W.H. Middleton Andrews, T. Foulds, J. West, J.E. Brown, W.H.T. Hunter, and H.T. Whittingham (accompanist).
Prior to the concert, the Chairman stated that the promoters of the club had made splendid progress, as a ground of 6 ½ acres had been procured in Wavertree-road, on which stands and other requirements were now being erected.
The members enrolled so far number of 300, and financially the club is in a sound position, having £400 in hand. Applications from renowned players in Scotland had also been received.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: June 27, 1891)