January 26, 1892
It is evident that the minority members of the present club mean to remain at their old quarters and have already floated a company under the title ”Everton Football Club and Athletic Ground Company, Limited”, which was registered in Somerset House and to the articles of association the signatures appended are: Albert Edward Berry, William Houlding, Alexander Nisbet, John James Ramsay, John Dermott, William Francis Evans and John McKenna, capital £15.000 in £1 shares, and the company are to use grounds for football & c.as its name indicates, at Anfield-road.
It is pointed out ”that if the new company succeed in being accepted into membership with the Association and the League the dividend must, under their rules, be limited to 5 per cent, that being the utmost allowed, in order to preserve the purely sporting and athletic character of the football. Any profits made admitting a dividend above that amount are to go to a reserve fund, or to be spent in the interest of the game. It is necessary to understand also that the Association is a law unto itself, and so is the League; and there can be no such thing as compelling either the one or the other to recognise any club or organisation of which it does not approve.”
Of course, it is impossible to predict the course which may be taken by the two great authorities named, but it is quite certain that the Everton Football Club, through its committee, will leave nothing undone to maintain its own, and will deny to the new company any right to lay claim to a portion of the title which they have assumed.
The new club conformed of the following subscribers:
A.E. Berry, 62 Dale-street, Liverpool, 1 share
J. Houlding, Stanley House, Stanley Park, 1 share
A. Nisbet, 13a Erskine-street, 1 share
J.J. Ramsay, 7 Hawkesworth-street, Anfield, 1 share
J. Dermot ,66 Norwood Grove, 1 share
W.E. Barclay, 158 Adelaide-road, 1 share
J. McKenna, 28 Nuttall-street, 1 share
Registered without special articles by Messr. Jordan & Son, 120, Chancery, WC.
(Liverpool Mercury: February 1, 1892)
From the Everton Collection.