Liverpool hit Higher Walton for eight

September 3, 1892
The start of this game was fixed for 3 15, but it was half past three before the Liverpool players turned out. There was a misearable array of empty benches, not more than 200 spectators being present, the ground presenting a striking contrast to the opening Saturday of last season.

The visitors were late in putting in an appearance, it being four o’ clock when the first of the players reached the ground. In the absence of John Miller, McVean took the centre position on the home side.

The Liverpool captain won the toss, and McVean kicked off in the Anfield Road direction.

Law breaking up the first attempt of the home forwards when Parker made tracks, but was successfully tackled by McLean. Good work by the Liverpool forwards threatened danger to the visitors, but a couple of corner kicks were the only result.

The visitors showed good defence against home attack, but after a good shot from Pearson Smith sent in a scoring shot a quarter of an hour from the start.

From the centre the Walton players worked smartly up, Flintoff having a shie at Ross’s charge, but the home side were soon again attacking. Kelvin and McVean putting in some very good work.

Addison had a handful from McLean and Smith shot over the bar, the Liverpool players continuing to have all the best of the game. When Addison had been grounded by Smith, McBride shot in hard, and a second goal resulted.

Up to this point Ross had not been called upon, Hannah and McLean staving off every attack. McVean added a third point, and Cameron a fourth, the Preston team being outplayed at every point.

Half-time: – Liverpool 5 goals, Higher Walton nil.

Facing about, Liverpool at once attacked, but were unable to get home, the result of some neat passing being a goal-kick from Addison. McQue, who just before the close of the first half scored the fifth goal for the home side, put in some splendid work as centre half, and was ably seconded by McBride and Pearson, the front rank having every chance of scoring, but having several of their efforts spoiled by the wind.

A determined rush by Cameron and McVean ended in the defeat of Addison, who was beaten after twice saving his charge.

Excellent play was now shown by the Liverpool forwards, Wyllie being conspicuous with several plucky runs and grand shots for the goal, and the work of the whole team showed that they were worthy to meet opponents of a higher calibre. McQue lowered the Walton colours for the seventh time, and the Liverpudlians taking matters easy, ran out easy winners, the score of the finish being: –

Final result. – Liverpool 8 goals, Higher Walton nil.

Liverpool: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, Pearson, Joe McQue, James McBride, Thomas Wyllie, Jock Smith, Malcolm McVean, John Cameron, Andrew Kelvin.
Higher Walton: J. Addison, J. Enderby, Ted Craven, Gerrard, J. Law, Flintoff, R. Law, Parker, Kay, Fowler, Heaps.
(Source: Liverpool Football Echo: September 3, 1892)



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.