Big victory on a dull day

September 5, 1892
Liverpool v Higher Walton.
This match was played on Saturday, at Anfield Road, before a few hundred spectators. They day was a dull one, showers of rain falling every few minutes, and this, combined with the great attraction at Goodison Park, no doubt accounted for the meagre attendance.

The few lookers-on, however, made up in enthusiasm for what they lacked in numbers, and every bit of fine play received its due share of applause. Owing to the late arrival of the visitors, some of whom had been driven to the Everton ground by mistake, the kick off was deferred for nearly three quarters of an hour.

Liverpool: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, Pearson, Joe McQue, James McBride, Thomas Wyllie, Jock Smith, Malcolm McVean, John Cameron, Andrew Kelvin.
Higher Walton: J. Addison, J. Enderby, Ted Craven, Gerrard, J. Law, Flintoff, R. Law, Parker, Kay, Fowler, Heaps.

The visitors won the toss, and elected to play with the somewhat changeable wind and an occasional sunshine at their backs. In the absence of John Miller, McVean set the ball in motion for the home side, and after some exchanges play was transferred to the visitors’ end, and three corners and a foul came in quick succession, but they were all cleared with safety.

McLean, slipping, gave the opponents’ right a chance, but he quickly recovered himself and was soon kicking away in his usual style. Smith and McBride now came in for some cheering, the former breaking through the defence by smart dribbling, while the heading of the latter was unique.

A raid from the Walton players was repelled, and after gaining two corners the homesters’ right rushed down, and some brilliant passing between Smith and Wyllie ended in the former’s registering the first point for his side in a league match, a feat which was greeted with great applause.

Liverpool again assumed the aggressive, and McLean tested the fisting powers of Addison with a huge kick, and following up the advantage, the home forwards swarmed round the goal. Exciting play now ensued. Shot after shot was cleared, and time after time the Walton goal hung in jeopardy. Finally McBride scored a second goal with a well-directed effort.

Walton now made strenuous efforts to get down the field, but although McLean missed his kick, Hannah could not be passed, and play was again taken to the visitors’ quarters. Cameron had the goal at his mercy, but failed to do the needful. However, by a pretty pass from the right wing, McVean scored again.

After Walton had been repulsed the home right took the ball down, Wyllie passed right across the goal mouth, Kelvin shot, and from the rebound Cameron banged the fourth through.

From a corner McQue, who was playing a splendid game, scored the fifth goal with a daisy-cutter.

Half-time found the homesters still attacking and the score – Liverpool, 5 goals; Walton, nil.

After the interval the visitors pulled themselves together with an effort, but a foul against them changed the scene of action. Smith and Cameron both had good chances, but both failed to utilise them.

At this juncture an accident occurred to one of the Walton men, and the game had to stopped for a few minutes. The mischance, however, was nothing serious, and play was again resumed.

After some god work by the forwards McVean shot over, and a few minutes later again missed an easy chance of scoring. Shots rained in like hail, and from an ensuing scrimmage Cameron rolled the ball through.

McQue made himself conspicuous by some clever heading and tackling, and the home half-backs were feeding their forwards well, Enderly and Craven having plenty to do.

An offside penalty relieved the pressure for some time.

Liverpool, however, were not to be denied, and five corners were with difficulty rendered abortive.

McVean gaining the ball, effected a splendid run, and after being knocked down, recovered himself, and secured the ball once more and travelled up. The ball was cleared out, and a combined rush by the visitors’ forwards was broken by McBride, who returned the leather again, McQue adding a seventh goal to the score.

Towards the close Walton began to play up, but their efforts were futile, and Liverpool gained a corner, from which Smith scored.

The whistle sounded shortly afterwards, leaving the score Liverpool, 8 goals; Walton, nil.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: September 5, 1892)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.