Liverpool hit Bury for four

September 26, 1892
On Saturday afternoon the Liverpool-club had the well-known Bury team at Anfield to fullfil their Lancashire League fixture. The visitors, since the season opened, had not tasted defeat. It was therefore naturally expected among the Anfielders that a great game was in store for them on Saturday.

The day being beautifully fine there was a large turn out of spectators, numbering about 5,000, among whom were over 500 from Bury, who during the course of the game did not fail to give vent to their feelings. Both sides were able to place their full elevens on the field.

Liverpool: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, James Kelso, Joe McQue, James McBride, Thomas Wyllie, Malcolm McVean, John Miller, John Cameron, Andrew Kelvin.
Bury: John Lowe, Baugh, Warburton, Luther Pemberton, Jobson, George Ross, Arthur Wilkinson, Spence, Joe Clegg, Bourn, Jack Plant.

Losing the toss, Clegg commenced hostilities for Bury against a strong wind and sun. Liverpool, however, at once took up the attack, Wyllie having a couple of shies at goal without result. The home men came again, and after Baugh and Warburton were beaten Kelvin was given a clear course, but his final went yeards wide. From the goal kick Bury uplifted the hearts of their followers, as Plant and Bourn trickily brought about an onslaught upon the Liverpool goal. Hannah, however, eased matters by a timely clearance.

The game became exceedingly fast and most interesting. After Ross had been called upon by Clegg, the Liverpool men sprinted along, and from a capital centre by Wyllie, Miller opened the scoring in favour of Liverpool. It was a pretty goal, and well deserved the applause which was given.

Liverpool continued to show the better football, and Lowe on several occasions had to clear most difficult shots. McLean and Hannah were in great form at back, with the result that the well-meant efforts of the Bury men were repeatedly baulked. Liverpool put in some beautiful combination, and sailing through all defence, Cameron found another entrance.

From the midfield kick off Liverpool again pleased their supporters immensely, as McVean with a lofty shot scored the third goal. Before the interval Bury tried hard to get through the home defence, but it was of no use, kept well posted by their backs and half-backs; the Liverpool van, just on half-time, beat Lowe for the fourth time, thus crossing over with the score 4 to nil in their favour.

In the second half of the game, Liverpool, even with the wind and sun against them, stuck to their work manfully, and on one occasion Lowe certainly looked behind the line when he saved a beauty from Miller. Play was of sterling quality at this stage. It being quite a treat to witness the accurate passing of both teams.

Bury in midfield were all that could be desired, but when their shooting power was tested they performed wretchedly. Wyllie was conspicuous as he speedily made tracks along on the right, and finally sent a whizzer over the crossbar. Wilkinson had a clear way at the other end, but again bad shooting prevailed.

Liverpool until the end of the game kept their opponents well in hand, no further scoring being done, a splendidly contested game thus ending in a win for Liverpool by 4 goals to nil.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: September 26, 1892)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.