Rangers v New Liverpool

October 7, 1892
Rangers v New Liverpool.
At Ibrox, in wet weather, and before 5,000 spectators. The Liverpool were without Jock Smith, who is suffering from an injured ankle.

Glasgow Rangers: David Haddow, Donald Gow, John Drummond, Robert Marshall, Andrew McCreadie, David Mitchell, Neil Kerr, David McPherson, Allan Martin, John McPherson, Hugh McCreadie. Linesman: Mr. J. Muir.
Liverpool: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, James Kelso, Joe McQue, James McBride, Thomas Wyllie, John Cameron, John Miller, Malcolm McVean, Andrew Kelvin. Linesman: Mr. Jock Smith.
Referee: Mr. A. McLean, Alexandria.

Rangers lost the toss, and Martin (Northern) led off by a side kick to J. McPherson. Kelso sprang in and deprived the latter of the ball, and kicking over to Cameron, the speedy left-winger of the visitors dribbled down the field, till smartly tackled by Gow, who by a huge kick sent the ball well into goal, and Kerr kicked over. D. McPherson got on to the goal kick, and attempted to dribble past McBride, but the old Renton man outwitted him, and crossed the ball over to the left wing, where a desperate bout occurred between Marshall and Kelvin, the Kilmarnock man all but defeating the Ranger.

The Rangers, warming up to their work, got within shooting distance of Ross, and Kerr shot. The effort, from the Press Box, looked as if it had skiffed the post, but the referee allowed a goal – his decision being received with murmurs of dissatisfaction by the visitors. Liverpool now worked together with a will, and Wyllie dribbling grandly defeated Mitchell and Drummond and sent in a scorching shot, which took Haddow all his time to save.

An accident to McPherson and Cameron caused the game to be stopped for a few minutes. They were both attempting to head the ball at the same time when their heads met. The Rangers by close concerted action wended their way past the visitors’ halves, and but for the grand defence of Hannah would have scored. The visitors’ left wing by some pretty passing out manoeuvred Gow and looked like equalising, but Drummond headed out. Nerved by the barrow shaves they were experiencing at goal the visitors redoubled their efforts, and Cameron, receiving an accurate pass from Wyllie, lost no time in shooting past Haddow.

Within a minute from the centre-field kick the Rangers scored their second goal, H. McCreadie having the honour from a pass right across goal mouth from Kerr. Nearing the interval, the visitors exerted themselves to the utmost to again draw level, and Cameron all but accomplished this – his effort missing by inches.

Right from the goal kick the home forwards, by beautiful passing, fairly wandered the visitors, and Martin shooting strongly in, Kerr followed up, and amid great excitement put the ball through for the third time. Keeping up the pressure even against the stiff breeze, the light blues hovered in front of Ross and frequent shots were sent in, which, however, were saved by Hannah and Ross. A. McCreadie, evidently desiring to emulate the great feat of Doyle a month ago, dribbled the ball nearly the entire length of the field, and crossing to his brother, the latter shot true as an arrow, and beat Ross for the fourth time.

In the second half it looked long odds on the Rangers winning comfortably, for they crossed over leading by 4 goals to 1. Result – Rangers 6, Liverpool 1.

The play of the visitors, seeing they are a new organisation, was watched with much interest; and while they are not up to first-class form as yet, time and practice may work wonders in their ranks. Individually they are a powerful lot – in fact, almost the cream of Scottish talent – to wit, Hannah, McBride, Wyllie, &c. Kelso assisted the Liverpool today, and played with much of his old agility and ability. The best of the half-backs in the visitors’ ranks was McBride, Wyllie and Cameron shone conspicuously in the front rank, but Miller, the old Dumbartonian, was slow, and evidently out of form.

On the Rangers’ side every man played well, and therefore it would be unfair to particularise. The back division did all that was wanted of them, while the forwards played splendidly together. In fact, on today’s form the Light Blues, barring desertion and injury in their team, will make a bold struggle to top the League record.

The proceedings were enlivened by the strains of Dr Guthrie’s Edinburgh Industrial School Band, which played various musical selections during the afternoon. The saving of Ross during the closing moments of the game was particularly fine, and called forth the plaudits of the spectators.
(Source: Glasgow Evening Post: October 7, 1892)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.