Another win for Liverpool

October 8, 1892
Originally the fixture with West Manchester was set down to be played away, but the venue was changed, therefore Anfield Road was the scene. And a nasty wet one it was, too. Unfortunately for the club, but fortunately for the spectators, there was just room for the lot under the large covered stand, and those who had previously been on the uncovered stands showed their appreciation of the invitation to come in out of the wet by a hearty hurrah.

The ground was awfully heavy, and the going in consequence dreadfully slow. In the first ten minutes it was any odds on Thomas Wyllie or Malcolm McVean scoring, but it didn’t come off, and then a succession of corners fell to Manchester. They failed to make any use of them, although the ball was ominously near on one or two occasions, and so a very uninteresting first period came to an end without either side scoring.

The second half opened in much the same style, until Bridge, who has a fair turn of speed, came to the centre, from which point the “real original” shot hard and straight at the Liverpool goal. It was an excellent attempt, and it was quite as smartly met by Sydney Ross, who by-the-bye played quite up to his reputation. Bridge again shot across into the goal mouth, a most difficult shot to stop, but Ross managed it. He could not, however, get the ball far enough away, as Walsh got it. Ross rushed out and tackled him. Blocking the ball. Bogie, however, came up before Ross could get back, and a good goal was the result. Liverpool roused themselves and shots came in right and left, but it was left for McVean to initiate a dashing movement which brought about the equalising point. “The Glutton,” as he is called, put down his head like a Rugby half, and went through his men, then slipped the ball to Andrew Kelvin, who screwed across to the right, and Wyllie put the finishing touch to an exciting piece of play.

Another dazzling bit of dodging brought about a second downfall of West Manchester, this time from the toe of Jock Smith. The effect of this success had not died away when John Miller added a pretty a goal as ever was got by a screw. So in less than 15 minutes the whole character of the game changed, and the finish was as brilliant as the beginning was tame. Frank Sugg appears to maintain his form wonderfully. He kicked with good judgment, rarely missing the ball under any circumstances.

Just a word of warning to the right half-back, who displayed a strong tendency towards the jumping business. He had better alter his style if he wants to keep out of trouble. He is not a giant, and should he escape the referee’s attention he is sure to suffer from some of his opponents.
(Source: Cricket and Football Field: October 8, 1892)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.