Liverpool fall at Blackpool

November 7, 1892
The first meeting of these teams took place at Blackpool on Saturday. As each club had equal points, great interest was manifested in the game. Blackpool had their full team, but Liverpool were short of Jock Smith and James McBride.

Hannah won the toss, and Marsden kicked off, before 4,000 spectators, with the sun and wind against them.

The opening manoeuvres were highly exciting and quite sensational. Miller took Marsden’s initial kick, and he and McVean broke away, but when becoming dangerous were sent to the right about by Morgan, and Parkinson forced a corner of McQueen. This was nicely placed, but was eventually cleared.

The relief was only temporary, as by most determined play the home team ran up and crossed to E. Parkinson, who shot a grand goal after five minutes’ play. Three minutes had hardly elapsed when from another centre by the home right Pittaway headed the second point for the home club, the spectators showing their pleasure at this unexpected result by frantic cheers.

From the kick off Miller and McVean got away, and, after eluding the halves, McVean was sent spinning by Parr, while Morgan sent the sphere travelling towards Ross.

For a time the play was fairly even, but Blackpool gave Liverpool no rest, and after the visitors had given an exhibition of pretty combination, in which Wyllie’s final effort just topped the bar, the homesters, by an individual effort of Tyrer, brought the game back into the visitors’ half, where an error of judgment on the part of Hannah let in Pittaway, who gave to Parkinson, and that player easily added the third goal.

Play now eased down, and after testing Wright with rather slow shots, half time was called, with Liverpool pressing.

The play was all in the home half on the re-commencement. Following the style of their opponents, the visitors now put more go and work into their game, and this, assisted by accurate passing, kept the home team entirely on the defence, Wright having several warm handfuls to deal with; but the fates were against Liverpool, and try as they would they could not score, McQueen on the left and Wyllie on the right both having very hard lines with their centres and shots. Cameron missed an excellent chance, after a beautiful run about half the length of the field by Miller, McVean, and McQueen.

Tyrer now changed the venue, and Ross saved in grand fashion a scorching shot from Marsden. And so the game went on, Liverpool having the best of the play, but no making the most of their opportunities, and the final whistle blew leaving the result – Blackpool, 3 goals; Liverpool, nil.

Blackpool: Lawrence “Lol” Wright, Edmund Morgan, Harry Parr, Frank Parr, Harry Davy, Harry Stirzaker, John Parkinson, Harry Tyrer, William Marsden, James Pittaway, Edward Parkinson.
Liverpool: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, John McCartney, Joe McQue, Matt McQueen, Thomas Wyllie, John Cameron, John Miller, Malcolm McVean, Hugh McQueen.
(Liverpool Mercury: November 7, 1892)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.