November 26, 1892
Quick note: “There was not the gate I had anticipated to welcome the Rossendalians, although the attendance was nothing to grumble at; but what a ground to get to! It is almost an Alpine climb to get up the rough muddy lane leading to the ground from Waterfoot.”
(Athletic News: November 28, 1892)
Match: Lancashire League, at Dark Lane (Newchurch), kick off: 14:45.
Rossendale – Liverpool 0-2 (0-0).
Referee: Mr. T. Lomax.
Rossendale (2-3-5): William Holden, Harry Blears, Sam Davis, J. Whiteside, W. Brown, Johnny Weir, R. Brown, J. Garner, Jimmy Sharples, Jack Ratcliffe, Robert Duckworth.
Secretary: J.E. Ashworth.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Sydney Ross; Andrew Hannah (C), Duncan McLean; John McCartney, Joe McQue, James McBride; Thomas Wyllie, Jock Smith, John Miller, Malcolm McVean, Phil Kelly.
Secretary: William Barclay.
The goals: 0-1 Miller (46 min., assist: McVean), 0-2 McBride.
* Liverpool Mercury: “Bright Liverpool display at Dark Lane.”;
* Liverpool Mercury: “Weekly review”;
* Lancashire Evening Post: “Rossendale v Liverpool”;
* Athletic News: “Liverpool win at Rossendale”;
* Cricket and Football Field: “Rossendale v Liverpool”;
Duncan McLean, Liverpool.