A friendly encounter at Southport Central for Liverpool

December 28, 1892
This friendly match was played at Southport yesterday, in beautiful weather. Both teams were short of their full strength. Andrew Hannah and John Miller being absentees from the Liverpool side, while Dodd, Platt, and Waskinson failed to put in an appearance for the homesters.

John Cameron kicked off, before a poor muster of spectators, and Forshaw at once made play on the home left. Thomas Wyllie replied with a short run, but found Jimmy Gee in a good humour. Charles Gee robbed Cameron, and Kenny Davonport shot over the crossbar. Immediately following Hamer tested Sydney Ross with an awkward shot, and after a period of desultory play the Liverpool forwards came away nicely, and Wyllie just missed.

Not to be denied, Hamer put in a beauty which struck the upright and rebounded through, thus scoring the first point for the Central. Within less than a minute Wyllie equalised with a fast low shot. After this Liverpool had the best of the game, and if their left wing had been given more to do the score would certainly have been increased. After half an hour’s play McVean dribbled through his opponents, and added the second point to the visitors.

Nothing further was scored up to half-time, and on resuming McVean missed two easy chances, especially one given him by Cameron; but he made amends by nearly doing the trick when in a nasty position. Davonport and Lofthouse changed the venue, and Ross was caught napping by a straight long shot from Davonport, which struck the crossbar and tumbled into the net.

Forshaw came in for a round of applause for a rapid sprint up the left, and Ross had a few anxious moments, but eventually Matt McQueen cleared and McVean tried a long one without success. Jock Smith then came in for ironical cheer for sticking to the ball and being neatly upset, and as a fact his whole performance was not by any means up to concert pitch.

Joe Lofthouse was next conspicuous for capital centres and obtaining three corners in succession, and the back play of Smith and Esau Rimmer materially assisted to keep up the pressure on the visitors’ goal. Wyllie momentarily relieved, but Smith was robbed, while the Central rushed up and “Kenny” put over the bar. Up to the finish the homesters had slightly the better of the argument, a run by McQueen and Cameron, and a shot by McVean, being the only items of importance for Liverpool, and a good and exciting match ended in a draw – 2 goals each.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: December 28, 1892)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.