Bury v Liverpool

February 13, 1893
This match, which practically settles the championship of the League, took place at Bury on Saturday. Recognising the importance of the game a large crowd, numbering fully 8,000 assembled round the enclosure. Liverpool were without their smart left-winger, Hugh McQueen; who unfortunately, is laid up with an injure thigh. This necessitated the inclusion of Andrew Hannah, who has not by any means recovered from the injury to his toe-joint, while Matt McQueen filled his brother’s place.

Bury: John Lowe, George Holt, John Warburton, Joe Clegg, R. Jobson, George Ross, Jack Plant, Bourne, Williie Barbour, A. Spence, A. Wilkinson.
Liverpool: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, John McCartney, Joe McQue, James McBride, Thomas Wyllie, Jock Smith, John Miller,Malcolm McVean, Matt McQueen.

kicked off, while Smith took up the pass, but Jobson intervened and gave to his left wing. Platt and Bourn, who, outwitting McCartney, centred quietly, and Wilkinson tested Ross with a spanking shot within a minute of the kick off. Liverpool replied, with a smart run up on the left by McQueen, which resulted in a corner, which proved of no avail.

The high wind greatly interfered with play, and after a period of high kicking, Clegg earned applause for neatly robbing McQueen, but he in turn was dispossessed by McBride. And then pretty combination was shown by the visitors, in which all the forwards took part, but the vigorous play of Warburton removed the danger, and Plant sent in a long shot which, by the help of the wind, nearly took effect. McLean headed clear, only to see Spence shoot hard in, but Ross was ever ready, and saved in a remarkable manner.

The next item was a series of corners gained by the homesters, and it was surprising how Plant on one side and Wilkinson on the other, managed to gauge the wind to such a nicety, for only two corners of theirs were put out during the whole game. Thanks to Ross and McLean, danger was staved off for a time, but the long kicks of the home half-backs, and the swift rushes of Barbour and his wings, were a constant source of trouble. Another series of corners accrued, and Plant placing finely Barbour headed through, after 15 minutes’ play. This success roused unbounded enthusiasm, and, urged on by the cries of their supporters, the “Shakers” pinned Liverpool pretty well during the remainder of the first half, but did not increase their score.

Liverpool opened well on changing ends, a splendid attempt by McQueen being only a trifle high. Bury, who were now facing the wind, put a lot of dash into their play, and before long were swarming round Ross. McLean and Hannah generally stopped the shots, but allowed the homesters to gain several corners, from one of which Plant headed through the second point. This virtually settled the game, as Liverpool were playing now in a listless fashion, which contrasted very unfavorably with the play of their opponents.

Again the inevitable corner was obtained, and after being fisted out twice by Ross, it was returned and scrambled through before Ross could recover himself.

Play now became of a scrambling nature, both teams seeming to have lost their temper, and the referee had to award several free kicks for fouls on both sides.

When time was called, what would have been a good game ended in an easy win for Bury by 3 goals to nil.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: February 13, 1893)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.