Nelson regain the wooden spoon

March 8, 1893
The Nelson and Liverpool teams met on the Liverpool enclosure on Saturday, in the return League match. Both sides were well represented, Nelson playing the same eleven as against Higher Walton the previous Saturday.

R. Brown kicked off for Nelson, who at once invaded home territory but were gradually forced back where some lively exchanges ensued in the Nelson half which finally culminated in a goal for Liverpool from the head of Matt McQueen five minutes from the start.

From the kick-off the visitors raided the home quarters but were gradually driven back. The home team, headed by John Miller, put in some good work a shot from Hugh McQueen narrowly missing the mark, and Leach, Craven, and Matthews had their abilities tested to the utmost to keep the home team at bay.

The visitors’ back division defended well, and a couple of corners to Liverpool – one taken by Thomas Wyllie and the other by Hugh McQueen – were well cleared. When the visitors did break away it was principally by the aid of Sanderson and Harry Lightbown.

A foul against Liverpool was nearly productive of a goal, Matthews having to handle twice, his abilities being tested by both Malcolm McVean and Hugh McQueen.

Lightbourn was pulled up by Andrew Hannah, who took a free kick, and placed the ball nicely to John Miller, who shot, but only to find Matthews on the alert and hereabout the good defensive tactics of Leach and Craven prevented disaster to the visitors.

Duncan McLean, Andrew Hannah and John McCartney, and in fact the whole of the home back division never allowed the Nelson forwards much latitude, the result being an almost continuous attack on the visitors’ fortress. The whole of the home forwards had a shie at Matthews, but they could not get the ball through, and Leach was also a great thorn in the side of the home forwards.

Liverpool were attacking when the whistle blew for half-time, the score being: – Liverpool 1 goal, Nelson nil.

The second half of the game commenced by an onslaught by Liverpool on the Nelson goal, and after a barren corner had been taken, Matt McQueen beat Matthews with a scorching shot two minutes from the start. This was followed by a strong attack on the home goal, and frequently Nelson were on the aggressive, but they could not break through the strong defence of the Liverpudlians.

The second half saw Nelson enjoying a lot more of the play than in the first half, but while Liverpool added another goal Nelson failed to score, and the game resulted in a win for Liverpool by 3 goals to nil.
(Burnley Gazette: March 8, 1893)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.