Serious injury for Sydney Ross

March 13, 1893
The meeting between these clubs has been looked forward to with great interest since they were drawn together in the Cup competition. About 8,000 spectators lined the enclosure at Hawthorne Road, and excepting a strong wind everything tended towards an exciting game.

Andrew Hannah, whose luck in tossing is proverbial, had the choice of ends, and availed himself of the no mean advantage of the aforesaid breeze and dazzling sun. Liverpool were the first to put in an appearance, and were met with a great cheer, but upon the home team showing up they received a great ovation, and were decidedly the favourites.

Bootle: A. McLachlan, Jack Hutchinson, Smart Arridge, Hope Robertson, Billy Hughes, Jimmy “Punch” McEwen, John Clarkin, William Gallacher, W. Grierson, McLafferty, A. Montgomery.
Liverpool: Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, John McCartney, Joe McQue, James McBride, Thomas Wyllie, Matt McQueen, John Miller, Malcolm McVean, Hugh McQueen.

Punctually to time Grierson gave the initial kick, and at once Bootle were the attacking party, and when a foul occurred close to the Liverpool goal, the home supporters made themselves en evidence in an unmistakable manner. John McCartney relieved, and Matt McQueen nearly scored with a shot which just skimmed the bar.

Splendid defence by Arridge and the Bootle halves, combined with strong kicking, gave the leather to Montgomery, who dribbled into the centre of the field and then passed forward to Clarkin, who, rushing past Duncan McLean, sent in a fast shot, which Sydney Ross cleared, but Gallacher met the return, and banged the ball into the net. This well-deserved success nearly drove the home supporters wild with delight, the cheering being terrific.

John Miller recommenced, but Hughes was too sharp for Matt McQueen, and gave to his right, Joe McQue intervened, and by a long shie gave the Liverpool forwards a chance, but they were too slow to take advantage of it.

Arridge sent up the field with a big kick, and Grierson fisted out to Gallacher and Clarkin, and a weak attempt by Duncan McLean brought trouble upon Sydney Ross, the Liverpool goal having a very narrow escape.

The venue of the game now changed, and Liverpool were found attacking strongly. A foul by Montgomery was well taken by John McCartney, but only a fruitless corner resulted. James McBride met the kick-off, and a splendid shy by him was placed yards wide by Matt McQueen.

Another glorious opportunity was offered to the visitors by Hutchinson fouling close in goal, but Duncan McLean made very poor use of the chance. Montgomery caused a diversion on the home left by breaking away, but Duncan McLean stepped in and gave to Hugh McQueen, who was lavishly applauded for a grand shot, which McLachlan just managed to save. Timorous play by Thomas Wyllie lost an almost certain chance.

The Bootle forwards livened up, and Andrew Hannah was severely pressed, being compelled to give a corner to avert danger. Robertson successfully tackled Malcolm McVean and Hugh McQueen, but James McBride took up his pass to the forwards, and tricking Grierson sent to John Miller, who was not successful in his endeavours to get through for a shot.

As half-time drew near excitement became intense, as after a long spell of pressure by Liverpool a cry of goal was taken up, but the shout was entirely wrong, as was seen after a few moments of suspense.

Immediately upon restarting a long kick by Arridge caused Sydney Ross to handle. Not to be denied, however, the home forwards, who were conspicuous for rare dash, swooped down upon the Liverpool defence, and after the visiting custodian had partially cleared a shot from McLafferty, he was unfortunately injured, and Gallacher had no difficulty in adding a second point for Bootle.

The result now counted upon as a foregone conclusion, as, with only ten men, and having to fight against the wind and sun, the chance of Liverpool wiping out the two points against them seemed very remote. Matt McQueen, “the utility man,” was placed between the sticks.

Upon resuming, Hughes was prominent for clever half-back play, while a foul by John McCartney looked dangerous for Liverpool, but Clarkin eased the suspense by missing a grand chance given him by the home left.

Two fouls against Bootle carried the ball into their quarters, and John Miller missed by the nearest shave. Joe McQue met the kick-off, and by a long punt forward enabled John Miller and Thomas Wyllie to execute a pretty piece of combination, which culminated in a good shot by John Miller, but the ball glanced off the bar, and Hugh McQueen rushed up and scored for Liverpool.

The visitors now played desperately for another point, and the game became very fast, neither side being able to claim any advantage. Grierson broke away nicely once or twice, but failed in shooting, and Matt McQueen brought off a marvellous save from what appeared to be a certainly from Montgomery.

Fouls became rather frequent, Robertson, McEwan, and Hugh McQueen coming under the notice of the referee. Towards the end of the game Liverpool rushed up again, and it was only due to the determined back play of Arridge and Hutchinson that disaster was prevented at this critical period of the game.

Neither side increased their score, and an exciting game ended in a win for Bootle by 2 goals to 1.
(Liverpool Mercury: March 13, 1893)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.