Wolves win the FA Cup

March 27, 1893
At one time on Saturday there were serious doubt as to the whether the final tie for the trophy (won last season by West Bromwich Albion) between these clubs would come off. This question arose from the fact that the weather was beautifully fine and summer-like-and an intervened crowd estimated at from 40,000 to 50,000 present, had been attracted to the Manchester Athletic club ground at Fallowfield.

In the expectation of seeing an exciting contest. Early in the day it was seen the crowd would be an enormous one, and that some difficulty would be experienced in keeping the field clear of action. During the progress of the match between boys from Sheffield and Manchester which by the way the last named won by two goals to one, the barriers were severely tried and at last the near the pavilion gave way the result being a general stampede to obtain a better view of the more important match when it should start.

It had been generally stated that ample provision had been made to maintain order, but the idea was soon routed, as the eager spectators quickly caused the larger number of members of the fourth estate, skated immediately in front, to make a shift for their personal safety.

In fact, the police present seemed altogether disinclined to handle the crowd, and reinforcements were sent for. As the time for the start drew near, the excitement increased, and the idea gained ground that at the most an ordinary match would take place.

At length the Everton men made their appearance in the pavilion, but it was left for the ‘’Wolves” to be first in the field, the men from Wolverhampton who had numerous supporters, entering the enclosure from the large stand at exactly 3-30.

Howarth led the Everton men on to the enclosure at 3-34, the scene then being a very lively one indeed. There was not much wind, and what existed blew across the ground, so that little advantage was to be gained.

When the competition was entered upon few people would have credited the assertion that it would be left for Wolverhampton Wanderers and Everton to contest the final. How much turned out to be the case is well known to followers of the pastime.

With one exception when a drawn game had to be replayed at Derby the Oval at Kennington has been the scene of the final, but this season owing to the returning of the ground the Surrey County Cricket Committee did not see their way clear to allow football being played on the centre, and the Football Association had to seek pasture new.

Many enclosures were suggested in the south and Midlands, but the final selection of the splendid ground of the Manchester Athletic Club at Fallowfield, which had been previously tested on the occasion of the annual Rugby match between Yorkshire and Lancashire, gave general satisfaction.

An energetic committee at once set to work to prefect arrangement, and these up to a certain point appeared to be satisfactory. The crowd, however, proved too large to control Saturdays match is the 22nd since the inauguration of the competition in 1871-72, when the Wanderers who afterwards won the cup three years in succession to beat Royal Engineers.

The Liverpool club on Saturday made its first appearance in the final in fact they have never previously been past the last four. They have taken the Liverpool Cup several times, but though also taking part in the Lancashire Cup ties, but have failed.

Everton’s stay at Buxton however, appeared to have worked wonders and one and all turned out apparently in the best of condition. The Wanderers, who have had a comparatively easy time of it since beating the Rovers if exception is taken to the league match they lost to Everton, did they final practice at home, and like their rivals made the journey to the scene of action during the afternoon.

Weather of a more delightful character could not have been desired, and but for the untoward, circumstances already alluded to the affair would have proved a gigantic success. As it the gate will no doubt be found to be a record.

Throughout the game Wolverhampton played with more dash then their rivals and it is to this they owe their victory as the appended will show:- at 3-25 Wolverhampton Wanderers centred the field from the Whitworth Lane end in amber and black jerseys, with black knickers, and five minutes later Everton were led on the enclosure by their captain the players wearing blue jerseys and white pants.

At this time there would be quite 40,000 people present. The Liverpool contingent having lost the toss played with the sun in their eyes, and Maxwell kicking off for them, the ball was quickly returned, and Gordon running down the right wing, Maxwell kicked over.

Latta now sent in a low swift shot and a corner was conceded to Everton, but Holt kicked over the crossbar. Griffin and J.H. Wood now came away with the ball, and the latter crossing over, Topham shot, but the leather was cleared. A free kick to Everton ensued, but nothing resulted, and from a throw in at the latter’s end, Milward headed away and shortly afterwards play was carried on to midfield, when Everton began to press, and Swift saved a very dangerous shot by heading out.

The last named player supplemented a splendid dribble down the right wing by Topham, who centred grandly, only to see Kelso get the ball out of danger. From a throw in at midfield Butcher passed to Wykes, who ran down the field but finished up by shooting just outside.

Milward at the other end beat the ‘’Wolves” custodian, but the goal was disallowed owing to some previous infringement of the rules. Griffin and Wood, on the left, for Wolverhampton contingent, became dangerous, but their final effort proved abortive.

Everton now had a look in, and Milward centring to Maxwell, the latter was wide of the mark and from the kick out, Butcher and Wood catcalled for the Wanderers, the latter kick just going outside. Play at this time was very fast, Stewart showing up by an unsuccessful attempt at goal. Eventually a free kick for hands against Holt was conceded to Wolverhampton followed by a corner, also in favour but the defence play on the part of the Evertonians was too good to break through.

Give and take work ensued, but eventually Chadwick caused Rose to use his hands and feet and almost immediately afterwards Milward had a grand opening but shot wide. Buchter now showed up, and passing to Topham the latter failed to do anything, and a free kick to Everton brought relief to the club, who had now slight the best of matters, but Kinsley and Swift were all there, and kept their charge intact.

Hands against Holt caused the representatives from the banks of the Mersey to fall back Milward and Chadwick on the left, showed a fine display of passing, and the latter sending in a good shot, Rose saved his charge by pulling the crossing down and allowing the ball to go just over.

Latta, Maxwell, Topham, Chadwick, Swift, and Butcher for their respective sides were prominent, but nothing was scored the half-time period arrived with a blank sheet, and loner rest than usual was taken by the players until the crowd had been got outside the touch line.

On changing ends the ‘’Wolves” made a raid on the Everton goal, but only for a shot period, as Milward and Latta respectively sent in a couple of shots,, but Rose saved splendidly. Wykes now showed up for the Wolverhampton team and Topham also sent in a shot which just skimmed the Everton bar.

A free kick for hands against Allan came to nothing, and both teams considering the hot weather played up splendidly, and proved that their respective trainers had done their duties well. Eventually Allen sent in a long shot from the right wing for the ‘’Wolves” and although Williams ought to have stopped it he let it go through his hands and the first blood was drawn against Everton. Amidst tremendous cheer.

The second portion of the game had been in progress about ten minutes when this reverse to the Liverpool men took place, and, as it afterwards proved, was the only score of the match Wykes however, shortly afterwards sent exactly a similar shot, but this time Williams was successful, in preventing the leather from going though.

Wykes was again prominently a very dangerous shot, which only went about a foot wide of the mark. Afterwards Everton had a look in for a short time. Holt and Howarth doing yeoman service. Swift, however, played a grand defensive game at full back, and prevented these efforts on the part of the Evertonians from taking effect once again Everton in their endeavour to equalise got the leather up the left wing, but the ‘’Wolves” were defending their change, in such grand manner that the ‘’boys” in blue could not score.

Malpass after a time got away on the right, and transferred the scene of action for the other end, where the ‘’Wolves” had a fine chance to score, but despite the shot sent in by Wood Butcher and Griffin right in front of goal they failed to add to their total and midst the cheers of the spectators Wolverhampton won by one goal to Everton nil.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Billy Rose, Dick Baugh, George Swift, Billy Malpass, Harry Allen, George Kinsey, Dick Topham, David Wykes, Joe Butcher, Harry Wood, Arthur Griffin.
Everton: Richard Williams, Bob Kelso, Bob Howarth, Dick Boyle, Johnny Holt, Alex Stewart, Alex Latta, Patrick Gordon, Alan Maxwell, Edgar Chadwick, Alf Milward.
Referee: Mr. C.J. Hughes (Cheshire); linesmen: Messrs. T. Gumley (London) and Roberts (Derby).
(Liverpool Mercury: March 27, 1893)

Billy Rose, Wolves (Lloyd’s Weekly News: February 25, 1893):

Dick Baugh, Wolves (Lloyd’s Weekly News: April 30, 1893):

George Kinsey, Wolves (Lloyd’s Weekly News: October 1, 1893):

Bob Kelso, Everton (Lloyd’s Weekly News: September 24, 1893):

Alex Latta, Everton (Lloyd’s Weekly News: October 30, 1892):

Alf Milward, Everton (Lloyd’s Weekly News: January 17, 1892):


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.