Liverpool Schoolboys v Sheffield Schoolboys 0-1 (Charity match: April 29, 1893)

April 29, 1893
Schoolboy match, friendly – Teachers Charity Fund, at Anfield, kick-off: 14:50.
Liverpool Schoolboys – Sheffield Schoolboys 0-1 (0-0).
Referee: Mr. Robert Edward Lythgoe (Liverpool); linesmen: Messrs. Williams and Green.
Liverpool Schoolboys: White, Syson, Prescot, Newick, Patterson, Humphreys, McWhinnie, Milward, Lloyd, Roberts, Dixon.
Sheffield Schoolboys: Green (Dryer’s Hill), Trickett (St. John’s), Wain (Charity), Dally (All Saints’), Brameld (Sharrow), Myers (Wellgate), Smith (All Saints’), Needham (Sharrow) Simmon (Darnall), Ryalls (Gleadless Road), Marsden (Carlisle Street).
The goal: 0-1 Marsden.

The second match under the auspices of the Liverpool and District Elementary Schools Football Association, in aid of the Teachers’ Charity Fund, took place this afternoon on the Liverpool ground at Anfield in fine weather, but before a moderate attendance.

Sheffield commenced against a strong wind, and soon lost possession, Dixon taking the ball up the centre. A foul for “hands” gave Liverpool further advantage, and from the free kick Dixon sent the ball into the net, but not having touched anyone in its progress was without result. Two pretty combined attacks were then made by the Sheffield boys, but on both occasions the ball was sent harmlessly behind.

After a short visit by the home lads to the visitors’ end, the Sheffielders returned and forced a barren corner. The next minute White saved finely from a grand shot by Brameld. The visitors had the best of the play after this, and the Liverpool Boys were kept on the defensive, White, Prescot, and Syson defending their charge capitally.

Good play by Lloyd (whose play was much admired) placed his side on the attack, but they could not get past the Sheffield backs, who were very safe. Two nice passing runs were made by the home forwards, and Green was called upon to save for the first time, and did so cleverly.

A splendid run up the right shortly afterwards by Humphreys was the next feature, his shot from the wing just shaving the post. A combined rush by the Liverpudlians nearly resulted in a goal, but Dixon headed over the bar right in front. Half-time was called with no score on either side.

Dixon restarted for Liverpool, Roberts making tracks down the left and trying a shot from a long range, which went wide. Sheffield then attacked with great determination and White just managed to clear in time ere his opponents were upon him.

Shortly afterwards a foul fell to the visitors, and from Batty’s kick Smith had a grand opening, but shot yards over the bar. Returning, however, to the attack, Marsden scored with a splendid shot for Sheffield. The home side now played up vigorously, and made a stiff onslaught on Green’s charge, and Milward had a shot, but it went the wrong side of the post.

After White had defended his charge successfully from Smith’s attempt, Green saved very nicely from a fine shot by Roberts. The rest of the game was keenly contested, but nothing further was scored, a capital game ending in Sheffield’s favour by 1 goal to nil.
(Liverpool Football Echo: April 29, 1893)

Match report from the Sheffield Evening Telegraph, Saturday, April 29 – 1893.
1893 Liverpool Schoolboys

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.