May 20, 1893
The Lancashire League meeting at the headquarters of the Liverpool Club was a nice affair, and the visitors seemed to enjoy themselves. They would be queer mortals if they could not spend a jolly afternoon at the Sandon, for the bowling green, and the billiard room were at their disposal, and needless to say, the efforts of the Liverpool executive were appreciated, one gentleman remarking:-
“You have the finest team in the League, the finest ground, the finest headquarters, and the finest president.”
Not at all a bad character. After tea, Mr. Smith of Southport, presided, and presented the handsome cup to Mr. John Houlding. It seemed to be the unanimous opinion that the cup has come to its rightful resting place, and the Liverpool executive and team were highly praised for their successful efforts at the first attempt.
Mr. Houlding was very happy in his reply. He reminded his hearers that, although his committee worked under a new name, the club was managed by the same men that had made football in Liverpool, and the game itself was fostered under their care.
(Athletic News: May 22, 1893)