Ardwick v Liverpool 0-1 (League match: September 16, 1893)

September 16, 1893
Match: Football League, Second Division, at Hyde Road, kick-off: 15:30.
Ardwick – Liverpool 0-1 (0-0).
Attendance: 5,000.
Referee: Mr. F.T. Norris.
Ardwick (2-3-5): William Douglas; F. Steele, David Robson; Harry Middleton, Daniel Whittle, E. Regan: James Yates, Walter Bowman, Adam Carson, H. Saddington, Robert Robinson.
Liverpool (2-3-5): William McOwen; Andrew Hannah (C), Duncan McLean; John McCartney, Joe McQue, James McBride; Patrick Gordon, Malcolm McVean, Matt McQueen, James Stott, Hugh McQueen.
The goal: 0-1 H. McQueen (80 min.).

The consistent form so far display by the ex-champions of the Lancashire League was the mans of drawing a large and excited crowd to the Ardwick enclosure on Saturday to witness the first meeting of  the two clubs in their League competition. The weather was brilliantly fine, with the turf in capital going order, and when Hannah defeated the opposing captain in the spin of the coin and elected to play with the sun at his back, matters look rosy for the visitors. Promptly to time the referee gave the signal to line up.

Immediately following the kick off McCartney headed the ball in the wrong direction in trying to clear, but the resulting corner was easily cleared by McQue, and then the Liverpool forwards carried the leather to the other end, only to secure an unproductive corner off Robson. The pace from the outset had been terrific, yet the Liverpool team did not seem to settle own into anything like working and effective order.

Pretty and telling play by Yates, Bowman, and Middleton threatened to disturb the equanimity of McOwen, but Hannah came to the rescue, and play was at once transferred to the other end, Stott, McQueen, and Gordon being the principal workers in this movement. Robson, whose defence was admirable throughout, kicked clear, and smart work by Whittle following allowed Yates to have an opening, who, racing past all opposition, gave to Bowman when in nice position, but the latter’s shot was a trifle high.

Still pegging away, the visitors were generally to be found in their opponents’ half, and for a spell Robson, Whittle, and Douglas were very hard worked. Still no opening could be found by the visitors, and then, just as half-time was approaching, the whole of the home forwards worked the leather towards McOwen in beautiful style, and the latter had to be pretty smart to stave off defeat.

M. McQueen re-commenced hostilities, and he and his confreres worked the bal into close vicinity to Douglas, but the resourceful Robson was there ready to assist, and between the two the Liverpool forwards were repulsed. It was evident they were not to be denied, however, and mending considerably in their combination, the home-defence were more severely taxed than hitherto; and although Gordon was incapacitated through an injury to his foot and was off the field for a lengthened period, yet the visitors more than held their own and, after H. McQueen had scored, became virtual masters of the situation and completely wore the Ardwick team down. Only wretched hooting on the part of the visiting forwards saved the home side from a greater defeat than a goal to nil.
(Liverpool Mercury, 18-09-1893)

NOTE: Other sources such as The Athletic News and Manchester Courier claim that James Stott was the scorer for Liverpool ten minutes before the end.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.