Small Heath v Liverpool 3-4 (League match: October 14, 1893)

October 14, 1893
Match: Football League, Second Division, at Coventry Road, kick-off: 15:30.
Small Heath – Liverpool 3-4 (2-3).
Attendance: 8,000.
Referee: Mr. Hall (Derby).
Small Heath (2-3-5): George Hollis, Gilbert Smith, William Reynolds, Billy Ollis, Caesar Jenkyns (C), Ted Devey, Jack Hallam, Billy Walton, Frank Mobley, Fred Wheldon, Tommy Hands.
Liverpool (2-3-5): William McOwen; Andrew Hannah (C), Duncan McLean; Matt McQueen, Joe McQue, James McBride; Patrick Gordon, Malcolm McVean, David Henderson, James Stott, Hugh McQueen.
The goals: 0-1 Gordon (1 min.), 0-2 Stott (3 min.), 1-2 Wheldon (6 min.), 1-3 Henderson, 2-3 Jenkyns, 3-3 Hands, 3-4 H. McQueen.

Liverpool’s task on Saturday in having to face last year’s champions on their own peculiarly shaped ground, was as difficult an order as they will have to complete this season. Anticipating a grand game a large and welcome crowd lined the enclosure, and who gave both team a very hearty greeting.

Liverpool were represented by their usual team, while Small Heath made four alterations to the names which did battle on their behalf four weeks ago at Anfield.

No time was lost in marshalling the teams, and, with Liverpool having a slight wind at back, Mobley started the game amidst cheers and counter cheers.

The game had but just commenced when Liverpool were to the front, and Gordon completed a fine piece of work on the part of his comrades by shooting a capital goal from a very awkward position.

This unlooked-for success partially upset the intentions of the home team, while spurring on the visitors, and it was but two minutes later when Gordon slipped along the right, after good work by Henderson and McVean, and dropped the leather in front of Hollies, allowing Stott to score a second point.

An ordinary team would have broken down under this crushing state of the game, but the Smallheathens played gamely on, and nearly sent the crowd mad by opening their scoring account within a couple of minutes of the last point obtained, a smart run by the outside right and timely centre  being met by Wheldon and headed past McOwen.

Now the excitement grew intense, the spectators shouting themselves hoarse as the Liverpool underwent some near shaves, but they toned down a little when Gordon repeated his former performance and raced along the wing finishing with an accurate pass which Henderson, assisted by McVean and Stott, rushed through the “Heathens” goal.

Upon the ball being kicked off Mobley sent to Hands, on the home left and he got the best of a tussle with Hannah, and shot in, but although the danger was temporarily removed, yet the persistency of the “Heathens’” forwards would not allow the Liverpool defence to get the ball clear, and from a feeble fist out by McOwen, Jenkyns lowered the Liverpudlians colours for a second time.

Again the spectators showed their animations in a most demonstrative manner, and it was plainly evident that their feverish state had infected the players, as at time the game became a trifle wild, but up to half-time no further damage was created, although a shot by Gordon was not allowed by the referee.

Upon getting to work again the hot pace in no way fell off, and the home forwards were seen to great advantage, many a tight scrimmage being formed in the vicinity of the Liverpool custodian.

After about a quarter of an hour’s play a goal was awarded to the “Heathens,” when the Liverpool players maintained, the ball had not been in the net, but was picked up from behind. This led up to some wrangling, the Liverpool players being very loth to line up, and when at last the game was re-commenced, it was seen that it was a case of war to the knife and give no quarter.

McQue was penalised for kicking Mobley, and while the ball was being placed Jenkyns rushed up to McQue and struck him, for which offence he was ordered off the field.

From this point the visitors subjected the home goal to a heavy siege, and the greatest praise must be given to Smith and his coadjutors for their sound defence under such decreasing circumstances, and allowing but one point to be score after Jenkyn’s retirement.

Right up to the finish the game could scarcely be called over, as the home forwards made one or two desperate attacks upon the Liverpool goal, but M. McQueen came splendidly to the rescue, an one of the best games that has been played this season resulted in Liverpool wining by 4 goals to 3.
(Liverpool Mercury, 16-10-1893)

Small Heath captain Caesar Jenkyns who was ordered off the field for striking Joe McQue.