The Walsall, no match at Anfield

December 11, 1893
Ideal weather favoured the second meeting of these clubs, at Anfield, on Saturday, when between 5,000 and 6,000 spectators were present. Hannah’s previous good fortune with the coin seems to have demoted him, as he has now failed to secure the choice of goals in four successive games.

Liverpool: William McOwen, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, Matt McQueen, Joe McQue, James McBride, Douglas Dick, Harry Bradshaw, Patrick Gordon, Malcolm McVean, Hugh McQueen.
The Walsall: Jimmy Warner, Tom Bayley, Robert Smellie, Sam Holmes, R. Cook, Norman Forsyth, Joe Lofthouse, Walter McWhinnie, David Copeland, Charlie Leatherbarrow, Billy Dunn.

Play opened in a most spirited fashion, the home club having the best of the argument, and, the ball being brought down by the left wing, McBride sent across to the right, and McVean drew first blood within three minutes of the start.

This happy augury infused more dash than ever into the play of the Liverpudlians, and a sharp rush by Gordon and McVean ended in the former securing a second point when the game was not quite ten minutes old.

This second reverse did not at all dishearten the visitors, as after Bradshaw had missed a nice chance, Dunn and Leatherbarrow changed the scene of operations, and slipped past Hannah, the former, had a glorious chance of distinguishing himself, but sent the leather sky high, to the chagrin of his fellow club mates.

Returning to the attack the visitors, by the agency of Lofthouse and McWhinnie, maintained a lengthened stay in the Liverpool quarters, but so good was the display of Hannah that the visiting forwards were rarely allowed to get within decent shooting distance.

Responding to the call of the onlookers the Liverpool forwards smartened up, and being well fed by McQue, McBride, and McQueen, laid siege to Warner’s charge. Gordon leading the way in splendid style with a rasping shot, which all but scored.

Although repelled time after time, the home team stuck to their work with grim earnestness, Bradshaw and McQueen earning merited applause for some excellent shooting, but they could not defeat the agile custodian Warner.

A spell of ragged play followed, both sets of forwards playing very indifferently. Close upon half-time Liverpool came again with a grand rush, McQue, McVean, and Dick causing the opposing side many anxious moments, but strong and sure play by Smellie and Bayley eventually gave relief, and the whistle blew for the interval with Liverpool leading by two goals.

The Anfield team now had the assistance of a slight wind, yet their opponents were the first to show up, a grand shot by Dunn bringing out McOwen’s best abilities, and it was not until Hannah and McLean had put forth their finest efforts that the threatened danger was removed.

Then the home forwards put in some telling work, McVean, who had gone outside, tricking Smellie and shooting into Warner’s hands.

Copeland, McWhinnie, and Lofthouse attempted a forward movement, and, although McLean was left behind, the ever alert McBride stepped it with a capital lunge, and a foul occurring in the visitors’ half, McLean, who was entrusted with the kick, so well placed the sphere that McVean put on a third point, and Liverpool having much the best of the remaining play, won rather easily by 3 goals to nil.
(Liverpool Mercury: December 11, 1893)

Harry Bradshaw, Liverpool (Illustrated Police Budget: November 11, 1899):



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.