Liverpool beat The Walsall 3-0

December 16, 1893
The return League engagement between these clubs was played at Liverpool on Saturday last in pleasant weather and before about 5,000 spectators. Forsyth, for Walsall, made a re-apperance after his injury, and the homesters were well represented. The Walsall side differed in four instances from the on in the first fixture, and Liverpool one – Matt McQueen vice John McCartney – but had changed the positions of the forwards considerably.

At 2.30 punctually Patrick Gordon kicked off, and a vigorous siege was at once commenced upon the Walsall goal, with the result that Malcolm McVean scored at the end of three minutes. The visitors were then fairly penned in their own quarters, and had hardly crossed the half-way line when, as the result of another bully in goal, Malcolm McVean scored the second point, the game having only been in progress seven minutes.

With such a substantial lead in their favour the Liverpool forwards now began to take things more easily, and the visitors initiated several dangerous attacks, only to find the defence of Andrew Hannah and Duncan McLean impregnable. Dunn shot yards over the cross-bar when he had a favourable opening, and at the other end Douglas Dick missed a capital chance of adding to Liverpool’s lead.

Both ends were now visited in turn, the game at this stage being conducted on fairly equal terms. Joe McQue was penalised for tripping McWhinnie, and the free kick enabled the visitors to carry play right into the Liverpool quarters, but just when matters looked most critical Cook relieved the anxiety by shooting over. A forward movement on the part of the Liverpool right wing threatened danger to the visitors, Hugh McQueen shooting just outside the upright.

For some time the ball was kept in the Walsall goalmouth, but Warner brought off splendid saves and the danger was temporarily averted. Patrick Gordon initiated a pretty little run, and the end of which he passed to Harry Bradshaw, who sent in a good shot and barely missed scoring. Then Patrick Gordon, with a brilliant effort, missed by inches, the Liverpool forwards showing grand form at this juncture.

The visitors’ goal was completely bombarded for several minutes, Liverpool gaining corner after corner without avail, and meeting with such fine defence they had at length to retire without adding to their score. Brilliant passing between the Liverpool centre and the right wing enabled the home forwards once more to forge ahead, and Douglas Dick nearly scored with a splendid shot which Warner saved.

From this point until half-time Liverpool pressed, but did not increase their score.

Upon resuming, the Walsall forwards made one or two incursions into Liverpool territory, and William McOwen had to save one stinging shot from Cook, which he did in clever style.

By and bye the Liverpool forwards woke up, and the Walsall defence was again severely tested. Douglas Dick made a brilliant run down the field but ended by sending the ball over the line. Hugh McQueen, with a shot at tremendous speed, skimmed the cross-bar, and Matt McQueen tried a daisy-cutter but found the goal too well packed to permit of the ingress of the ball.

Some clever play by Douglas Dick and Malcolm McVean carried the play into the vicinity of Warner, but though the home forwards were pressing continually, Warner seldom had to handle the ball, an immunity for which he had chiefly to thank the safe kicking of Smellie and Bailey.

Matt McQueen was applauded for a piece of fine tackling, and just previously he had had a passage of arms with Forsyth, which the referee ended by reprimanding the Walsall player for unfair tactics. In the hope of restoring the effectiveness of the forward rank, which had been strangely at fault in this half, Malcolm McVean and Douglas Dick changed places, and for a time the experiment worked successfully.

The visiting forwards made a dash in the opposite direction, and taking the Liverpool defenders by surprise, planted the ball in the net, but the point was disallowed on the ground that William McOwen had been hustled whilst attempting to save. A prolonged attack was now maintained upon the Walsall goal, and finally Malcolm McVean with a slow, high shot, sent the ball past Warner. The point was allowed by the referee, but was strongly protested against the ground that Warner was knocked through before the shot was sent in.

Patrick Gordon shortly afterwards had hard lines with a free shot which Warner saved at the expense of an unproductive corner. Hugh McQueen had hard lines with a brilliant effort, which Warner kept out with difficulty, and just before the finish Walsall put on a spurt but without success.

The final result was – Liverpool 3 goals, Walsall 0.

The teams were:
The Walsall: Jimmy Warner, Tom Bayley, Robert Smellie, Sam Holmes, R. Cook, Norman Forsyth, Joe Lofthouse, Walter McWhinnie, David Copeland, Charlie Leatherbarrow, Billy Dunn.
Liverpool: William McOwen, Andrew Hannah, Duncan McLean, Matt McQueen, Joe McQue, James McBride, Douglas Dick, Harry Bradshaw, Malcolm McVean, Patrick Gordon, Hugh McQueen.
(Walsall Advertiser: December 16, 1893)

Harry Bradshaw, Liverpool (Illustrated Police Budget: November 11, 1899):


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.