The fisherman’s first visit to Liverpool

January 1, 1894
The first visit of the fisherman’s team to Liverpool did not rouse even an ordinary amount of enthusiasm, consequently the gate did not reach beyond 3,000 to 4,000 spectators. Duncan McLean is on the sick list, whilst Douglas Dick and James Stott were given a further rest. Promptly to time the teams lined up, and the following represented their respective sides: –

Liverpool: William McOwen, Andrew Hannah, Matt McQueen, John McCartney, Joe McQue, James McBride, Patrick Gordon, Malcolm McVean, David Henderson, Harry Bradshaw, and Hugh McQueen.
Grimsby: Jimmy Whitehouse, Jimmy Lundie, Tom Frith, Sandy Higgins, James Graham, James Russell, John Ackroyd, Dave Riddoch, Tommy McCairns, Harry Fletcher, and Jack Jones.

David Henderson gave the initial kick, and immediately operations were transferred into Grimsby quarters, where Malcolm McVean ruined a nice series of movements by putting over the bar. From the kick out, Ackroyd and Riddock obtained possession, and made a brief incursion into the home country, but Matt McQueen sent them to the right about in magnificent fashion.

A lengthy punt by Graham put Jones in position, and nothing but real downright hard work by Andrew Hannah removed the danger. Patrick Gordon then cantered down the right wing, but the ball was sent into touch. John McCartney took the throw, and so accurately did he perform his work that David Henderson was enabled to head well in the goal mouth, and Harry Bradshaw, seizing the chance, splendidly rushed the ball into the net, and scored the first point.

Grimsby then worked the ball into their opponents’ half, and from a grand pass by Jones (who two seasons ago played with Bootle), the Liverpool goal had a very fortunate escape, as McCairns, with an open course before him, missed the ball completely.

James McBride immediately removing the danger by lifting the leather into midfield, and David Henderson receiving headed a rapid dash for the Grimsby goal, and sending out to Patrick Gordon at the right time the latter made further ground, and finished by returning the ball to the centre, who culminated a most brilliant piece of work by securing a second point for his side. After this success the play became more open, and by half-time no further damage had been brought about.

In the second half the Grimsby team showed more dash than hitherto, while the complacency of the home team was amply justified by the result, as it would have been the height of folly to have forced the game when he visitors were guilty of tricks – to use the mildest term – which will not add to their reputation, on or off the football field.

The only item of interest in the second half was a fine sprint by Harry Bradshaw, who secured the ball from a corner taken by an antagonist. Eventually the game ended, leaving Liverpool victors by 2 goals to nil.
(Liverpool Mercury: January 1, 1894)

Harry Bradshaw, Liverpool (Illustrated Police Budget: November 11, 1899):


Patrick Gordon, Liverpool F.C.
Patrick Gordon EFC Cup final 1893


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.