The discomfiture of Liverpool

January 7, 1895
Liverpool v The Wednesday.
The first meeting between these clubs took place at Olive Grove, Sheffield, on Saturday, before 7,000 or 8,000 spectators, in fine, but cold and frosty weather. With the exception that Kerr replaced John Drummond, the Liverpool team was identical with that which had so signally defeated West Bromwich Albion. Harry Davis and Archie Brash were absentees from the home team.

The following were the players: –
The Wednesday: Wally Allan, Jack Earp, Ambrose Langley, Bob Petrie, Tommy Crawshaw, James Jamieson, Harry Brandon, Robert Ferrier, Harry Woolhouse, Arthur Brady, Fred Spiksley.
Liverpool: William McCann, Andrew Hannah, Matt McQueen, John McCartney, Joe McQue, John McLean, Malcolm McVean, Jimmy Ross, Harry Bradshaw, Davie Hannah, Neil Kerr.

The home team having won the choice of ends elected to play with the wind, and Bradshaw, having started play, began to veer towards Allan. After that player had cleared, Kerr obtained and dashed down his wing, but was robbed when about to deliver his final pass. Play them ruled very even, Brady and his partner changing the venue, but being sent to the right-about by Hannah.

In a thrice, Ross, Bradshaw, and McVean participated in a fine attack, which Langley spoiled just in time. McCann was then called upon by Spiksley, and had to concede a fruitless corner. The Sheffielders then showed signs of improvement, and at the end of ten minutes Spiksley wound up a fine piece of forward play by heading Ferrier’s pass past McCann, the referee paying no attention to a strong claim of offside.

Liverpool next tried to force their way through, but Crawshaw was a veritable thorn against the Liverpool centre, and Petrie was responsible for a high shot over the bar. A foul then fell to the home club close in, and Earp and Brandon between them shot into the net, but as the ball had not made a complete turn the referee disallowed the point.

The home team now had a big pull over their opponents, and looked like scoring on several occasions. At length Kerr had a chance, which he pulled in finely, but Allan caught the ball and cleared. Following a corner granted by McLean, McVean and Ross essayed to break the monotony, but Earp came across and sent the leather to Spiksley, who, with Brady, ran down the left, the former driving across the goal-mouth in nice fashion, enabling Woolhouse to add a second goal.

Directly afterwards Liverpool suffered further disaster, as from a free kick in midfield the ball fell on the back of Woolhouse’s head and rolled through as McQueen charged him. This brought half-time, and upon resuming Liverpool showed up a little better, there being more cohesion among the forwards. The game became very open, both sides claiming equal play, till Hannah was injured, and although this played returned for a little while, he was practically useless.

Then the home team came dashing down in almost resistless style, and by a stroke of good fortune scored two other goals, one of which was as near offside as could be imagined. A rather sensational game resulted in the thorough discomfiture of Liverpool by 5 goals to nil.
(Liverpool Mercury: January 7, 1895)

Jack Earp, The Wednesday (Lloyd’s Weekly News: April 7, 1895):


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.