Liverpool v Barnsley St. Peter’s

February 4, 1895
Liverpool v Barnsley St. Peter’s
These clubs met on the ground of the latter on Saturday to fight out their tie. As Liverpool were the first senior League club to visit the Barnsley ground great interest was centred in the game by all the surrounding districts, and fully 5,000 spectators lined the ropes, in spite of the wretched weather, snow and sleet falling at intervals, while the atmosphere was bitterly cold.

Andrew Hannah was the only notable absentee on the Liverpool side, whilst Vost superseded Smith on the home team, the players being:

Liverpool: Matt McQueen, John Curran, Duncan McLean, John McCartney, Joe McQue, John McLean, Malcolm McVean, Jimmy Ross, Harry Bradshaw, Davie Hannah, John Drummond.
Barnsley St. Peter’s: Joe Greaves, Coupe, Tom Nixon, Bill Keech, Jimmy Hay, Alec Black, Cutts, Bairstow, Vost, Thompson, Partridge.

The home team having won the toss, played down hill, and at once the play veered towards McQueen, but Curran interposed and staved off the rush, and McVean missed taking up the pass. Heavy kicking was the order of the day, the ball travelling from half-backs to half-backs with regular persistency. Two free kicks in succession to Barnsley raised looks of amazement upon the faces of the Liverpudlians, as first McCartney and then J. McLean were penalised for foul throwing. No danger to the visitors follows, however, except that Bairstow obtained a fruitless corner. J. Ross was then put in possession of a clear field by McQue, but although he outpaced his opponents he finished very badly.

Even play followed for a little time till Vost headed a sharp attack, in which McQueen handled and threw clear. Immediately following J. McLean was again subject to harsh decision on the part of the referee for a throw in, the same player being compelled to give a corner to save further disaster. Liverpool then got rather the best of the argument, but made terribly bad attempts to score, although the referee allowed them to take a foul close in goal four times over.

Some strong forward kicking by Keech and Nixon caused several anxious moments to Liverpool, but D. McLean and McQue between tem removed the scene of operation, and a really good piece of combination between Hannah, Bradshaw, and Ross was spoiled by the latter’s over-anxiety. Supported by McQue, Drummond dashed along the wing, and by a timely pass opened up a splendid chance for Hannah, who carried the ball right to the goal mouth, but wound up with an awful miss. This non-success rather stirred up the visitors, and the play was almost confined to the home circle, relief being only found by a free kick, the Anfield team being sent past the post.

Partridge was next pulled up for offside, and upon McCartney placing the ball to McVean, he and Ross hustled it past Black, and McVean getting in position scored for Liverpool, after about 20 minutes’ play. The blue and white brigade, after this success, became more united, and for a spell the home team were thoroughly overplayed, but although there was a visible improvement noticed, the shooting was not attended to as it should have been, and several chances were allowed to slip. As half-time arrived the home team had broken away in characteristic fashion, and were in close proximity to McQueen, who, however, was not called upon.

Having now the slope, the match was reckoned a good thing for Liverpool, and McVean and Ross were soon in evidence with some dashing work and capital centre, which Drummond just failed to utilise by the nearest shave.

For fully a quarter of an hour Liverpool were continually on the aggressive, a sharp attack and pressure being followed by another subsequent assault in quick succession. Greaves having to handle a hot one from McVean. Vost then again led his men in spirited fashion, and sending out to his left wing Partiridge brought the ball into nice position, and Black missed scoring from his colleague’s pass by inches only.

Drummond next followed with an offside goal, after which the home team livened up considerably, and the exchanges became more even than hitherto. Eight minutes off time the Barnsley forwards came with a string rush, and Vost equalised amidst a great uproar. Nothing further having been added, full time arrived with the game 1 goal each.

The captains having again tossed up for choice of ends, the players commenced to play an extra half-hour, and in the last quarter Ross received a pass from the left wing and put on the winning point. The final result being 2 goals to 1 in favour of Liverpool.

The Barnsley executive laid a protest against the extra time being played at all, and the matter will come before the council on Wednesday next.
(Liverpool Mercury: February 4, 1895)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.