Everton win the Liverpool Cup Final

April 30, 1895
There were about 4,000 spectators on the Goodison Park ground last evening, and while the Everton executive depended upon the resource of the combination team, the Liverpool turned out strongly, and included McLean one of their new recruits from St. Mirren.

The sides were as follows:
Everton: Jack Hillman, James Adams, Smart Arridge, J. Walker, David Storrier, Jack Elliott, Bill Williams, Joey Murray, John Thomas Hill, James McMillan, William Handford.
Liverpool: John Whitehead, Matt McQueen, Billy Dunlop, John Curran, Robert Neill, John McLean, Malcolm McVean, Jimmy Ross, Harry Bradshaw, Frank Becton, James McLean.

A start was made at six o’clock, and the early stage of play were characteristic by some pretty and effective combination among both sets of forwards. The ball travelled up and down the field in quick successions and McQueen on one side and Arridge on the other were successful in coping with many attacks on their charge. However, as play continued the Evertonians had just a little in hand and lost no opportunity of putting the screw on the Liverpool defence.

A fine shot by Murray almost brought disaster, as Whitehead cleared in fine style. A breakaway by Ross, and a long shot at goal, which just missed the mark, was the next item and then Dunlop had an ominous time with Murray and Williams. Hill eventually shot in, and Whitehead brought off a grand save. During the next few minutes the Everton halves gave their forwards every opportunity to make the pace, but they either dallied with the ball of kicked too far ahead and enabled McQueen and Dunlop to clear in easy fashion. At this juncture Handford was injured, and Everton contested the reaming portion of the game with ten players.

Pressure was now brought to bear on the Everton defence, and a couple of opening were made for Ross and Becton, but both failed badly. Half time arrival at length with the score no goals each.on restarting the Everton forwards put on pressure, and after Williams had narrowly missed, the ball was sent towards the net Whitehead in attempting to save, was hampered by Dunlop, and McMillan scored an easy goal.

A visit to the other end, resulted in Becton making an opening for Neill who shot with capital judgement, but Arridge covered well, and from close on the twelve yards line Williams broke off down the centre and raced away. Whitehead run out and was somewhat fortunate at the expense of a harmless corner. The Liverpool forwards now put more dash in their work and made strenuous effective to force the game, but they attempted to take the ball too close up, and invariably Adams and Arridge shipped in at the right moment and made no mistake in clearing.

Later on the Liverpool forwards made good combination they displayed in the early portion of the game, and it was neutralized. Whitehead brought off a couple of smart saves, the outcome of some capital play, Walker, Storrier, Williams, and Hill, and following a further attack, Storrier tried a shot from long range along the ground and Dunlop again was in Whitehead’s way, the ball gliding from him into the net.

Play had scarily been resumed when Walker placed the ball nicely to Hill, who scored a third point. The remaining portion of play was only moderated in character. The Liverpudlians broke away continuously, but were never allowed to become dangerous, and were beaten at the finish by 3 goals to nil.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: April 30, 1895)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.