May 6, 1895
Most of our readers interested in League football will be surprised to learn that Derby County have given up their old enclosure in consequence of the arbitrary and foolish restrictions imposed upon them by the lessors of the ground.
Their removal has indeed been upon the tapis for a long time, but at least the step has been taken, and taken wholly and solely on account of the annoyance and inconvenience to which the club has repeatedly been subjected by their not being allowed to bring off important fixtures during a week preceding a race meeting at Derby.
The club have been fortunate, however, in securing a lease of the baseball grounds, which will be overhauled and brought up to date by next September, the owner (Mr. Francis Lev J.P.) having undertaken to expend £500 in improvements and extensions. No less than £7,000 has already been spent upon the ground.
(Source: Athletic News: May 6, 1895)
Categories: Other clubs news