August 24, 1895
The annual picnic of the committee, players and friends of the Liverpool Football Club took place on Saturday last. A party numbering about 50 in all, left the Sandon Hotel about two p.m. in waggonettes, and arrived at Eastham’s Victoria Recreation Grounds, Ormskirk, about four p.m.
Under the management of Messrs. Bailey and Gibson a sports programme was carried out, and afterwards a capital tea was provided. Mr. William Houlding, after complimenting all upon their good fortune in being favoured with such grand weather, and expressing a hope that the club and players would pull together during the coming season, distributed the prizes to the following successful competitors: –
120 Yards’ handicap: 1, Geary, scratch: 2, Goldie: 3, J. McLean.
Dribbling contest: 1, Ross: 2, Geary.
Place kicking: 1, Dunlop, 60 yards: 2, Becton, 58½ yards.
220 Yards: 1, J McLean: 2, McVean: 3, Curran.
Half-mile: 1, McCartney: 2, McQue:, 3, Whitehead.
Steward’s race: 1, Clegg: 2, R Bailey.
The whole arrangement was under the supervision of Mr. John James Ramsay.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: August 26, 1895)
Liverpool were away on their annual picnic – the third in the history of the club – at Ormskirk. Fine weather, this time, favoured the proceedings, and after the termination of sports, which may be truly said to have been splendidly contested – thanks to Mr. Bailey, the handicapper, who was greatly assisted by Mr. Gibson of furnishing fame, the party of 50 sat down to a substantial tea.
Mr. W. Houlding, in the enforced absence of his father, distributed the prizes, which would not have disgraced any athletic gathering, and then he asked the players to do their duty to their club, which, from all appearances, they are sure to do. Mr. J. Ramsay, attended kindly to the wants of the inner man, and it was very noticeable how abstemious in this respect the players were. This bids for good things.
Cards by candle-light and songs by the many singers saw us to the Sandon settled in a proper sense, pleased and satisfied.
(Cricket and Football Field: August 31, 1895)