Saturday, November 9 – 1895
To-day the city will actually enter upon its acquirement of the townships of West Derby, Wavertree, Toxteth, and Walton, thus becoming Greater Liverpool.
The census returns of 1891 showed that the population of the city was then 517,980, and the absorption of the districts which have been mentioned will bring the number of inhabitants up to 631,980.
In the four years, however, which have elapsed since this enumeration, both old Liverpool and its new tributaries have increased in population, and a reasonable estimate at the present date is considerably upwards of 700,000.
The extended city covers an area of 10,593 acres.
(Liverpool Mercury, 09-11-1895)