Saturday, August 28 – 1897
The newly-formed Association club in Wigan anticipates a successful season. The capitally laid out grounds of the Wigan Trotting and Athletic Grounds Company will be available, whilst no less than 30 players have been signed.
These include: –
Menham (Everton) and McKie (Oldham County), as goalkeepers; G. Holmes (Preston), Molyneux (Everton), and Browne (Wigan Nondescript), as full backs; W. Greer (Preston North End), Stevenson (Oldham County), and Sharpe (Oldham County and Loughborough), half backs; whilst the forwards will be selected from Jack Gordon (Fleetwood Rangers), Patrick Gordon (Liverpool), Morris (Rock Ferry), Salisbury (Rock Ferry), Murray (Scotchman), and several local men.
The first eleven will figure in the Lancashire League, and the reserve team in the Lancashire Alliance.
(Lancashire Evening Post, 28-08-1897)