Liverpool F.C. victorious in the FA cup

January 29, 1898
Owing to the great counter attraction at Goodison Park there was just a mere handful of spectators at Anfield Road to witness the English Cup-tie. The Liverpudlians were distinctly fortunate in being drawn against such an unknown quantity as Hucknall St. Johns – that is, unknown as far as this part of the country is concerned.

In the Sherwood Forest district, however, they have made a name for themselves, inasmuch as they top the Notts League, and, if memory serves, they have only been defeated once this season. The weather was favourable, although rather hazy when the teams turned out.

John McCartney lost the toss, and Abe Hartley kicked off, a movement being at once made into Hucknall territory, and after one check had been administrated by Albert Mitchell, the home team advanced to the front, and kept up a continual attack until a shot from Andy McCowie gained a corner, which was not improved.

Owing to the unseemly behaviour of one of the few spectators, Mr. Dale, put a stop to the game, while he went and interviewed the noisy the noisy individual, who at once subsided into extreme quietness.

Resuming, the visitors broke through on the left, but John Emmerson’s run was speedily checked when Harry Storer cantered out and gathered the ball to clear. Then the homesters made a further prolonged attack, which was at last broken up by T. Jones, and Fred “Tabby” Weston galloped away, only to be pulled up in an offside position.

Emmerson shot over the Liverpool crossbar, and Frank Becton at the other end skied the leather over the Hucknall goal. After a sharp attack at arms in the centre, the visitors went through and gained a corner on the right, which was rather easily accounted for.

This was followed by a smart run on the part of Harry Bradshaw, who was at the finish beaten by Albert Mitchell, a scrimmage in front of the visitors goal being finished by a wide shot from Hartley. The whole of the Hucknall forwards moved beyond half way, but their progress having been checked, the homesters pressed again, and a heavy attack was closed when Thomas Lockyer punched away an overhead kick from Becton.

McCowie gained a corner, and then forced Lockyer to save, but the whole display of so-called football was disappointing in the extreme. The visitors were distinctly awkward in their movements, with the exception of the goalkeeper; but the “play” of the Liverpudlians was very severely criticised.

Archie Goldie was hurt and left the field for a time, and when he reappeared he had his head bandaged. The home contingent now commenced to play up a little, Becton putting in a couple of grand shots, both of which the visitors’ goalkeeper shaped remarkably well.

The Hucknall right wing then attacked, but Joe Chappell was pulled up for offside, and just afterwards the Notts men gave a corner on the left, which was nicely cleared. Frank Palin was cautioned for rough play, and then Billy Dunlop put in a grand check, but the visitors returned, and James Richardson shot over.

Half-time then ensued, neither side having scored.

Richardson restarted, and it was at once seen that the home contingent had almost made up their minds for business. They monopolised the play, such, ??? it was for some time until Mitchell fisted out a shot inside the twelve yards line. The inevitable penalty kick followed, and Becton at once put the ball in the net, but one of the visitors having stepped over the prescribed mark Mr. Dale ordered the kick to be taken over again. Becton was again trusted with the kick, and Lockyer blocked the progress of the ball, but Becton dashed forward, and before the Hucknall goalkeeper could clear, the Liverpudlian had scored the first goal.

A couple of corners followed to the home side, and Hartley once put the leather into the net, but the point was not allowed. Lockyer brought off some grand saves, but was at last beaten by a long shot from McQue, and although the homesters continued to attack, they were beaten back time after time, after having had the advantage of several corners.
(Liverpool Echo: January 29, 1898)

Harry Storer, Liverpool (Lloyd’s Weekly News: December 1, 1895):


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.