August 28, 1899
The Brighton United Club will play on the County Cricket Ground as last season, but training operations are carried on at a venue near the Dyke Road, where big crowds watch the men go through their facings.
The followintg are the names of the men engaged: Tommy Spicer and Arthur Howes, goal; Harry Ashby, Andy Mills, Bob Turner, and Smith, backs; Maurice Parry, Frank McAvoy, Paddy Farrell, John Low, Harland, and Williams, half-backs; Jock Malloch, Davie Willocks, Willie McArthur, Bob Hill, Jimmy Davidson, Johnnie “Toby” Mercer, Harry Oakden, Sharp, C. Williams, R.H. Baker, and Page, forwards.
A number of amateurs have also sogned League forms, and it is intended to run two teams, so that the public may rely upon good football every Saturday at home. The new men who don the green and white are as as follows: Howes (Leicester), goal; Mills (Blackburn Rovers and Swindon), left full-back; H. Ashby (who captained Burton Swifts last season), right or left back; Turner (Newton Heath), back or half-back; Smith (Hove) left or right back; Hill (Millwall), centre or inside;Mercer (Irish international), inside or outside right; Oakden (Derby County, who partnered Steve Bloomer in most matches last season), outside right; C. Williams (Worthing), centre or inside; Parry (Leicester, Loughborough, and Nottingham Forest), half-back or any other position; R.H. Baker (St. Mark’s College), outside right or left.
The men are steadily at work under their popular trainer, J. Jackson, who has had a large share in securing the new men.
(Athletic News: August 28, 1899)
Willie McArthur, Brighton United F.C. (Cricket and Football Field: September 2, 1893).