Liverpool well beaten at Blackburn

Monday, October 2 – 1899
Liverpool v Blackburn Rovers.
The first og the season’s League encouncters between the above teams was decided at Ewood Park, before about 6,000 spectators. Liverpool made two changes from the team defeated the previous Saturday, Kyle resuming at centre, and the Rovers only decided upon their eleven at the last minute.

The teams ooposed each other as under: –
Liverpool: Bill Perkins, Archie Goldie, Billy Dunlop, Rab Howell, Alex Raisbeck, William Goldie, John Cox, John “Sailor” Hunter, Peter Kyle, Hugh Morgan, Tom Robertson.
Blackburn Rovers: Albert Knowles, Tom Brandon, Bob Crompton, Tom Booth, Bob Haworth, Albert “Kelly” Houlker, William Williams, James Crook, Ben Hulse, Fred Blackburn, Daniel Hurst.

Liverpool lost the toss, and Kyle started, the visitors having to face a stiff breeze. The game started in fairly even fashion, Liverpool doing the first to become dangerous, but they were quickly driven back, and the Rovers begun to press. They met with a sterling defence, however. From a brakaway on the Liverpool right, Cox rounded Crompton twice, and with only the custodian to beat sent wide.

A number of corners fell to the Rovers, and the Liverpool goal had a narrow escape, but eventually the siege was raised, and Kyle was getting micely away when he was badly tripped by Booth. The free kick availed little, for the Rovers again attacked, and after several futile attempts by the forwards, Howarth dashed in and scored the first goal. This roused the home side to further efforts, and repeated attacks were made on the Liverpool goal, but Dunlop and Raisbeck defended splendidly.

At length Cox and Hunter got away, and sending to Howell, the latter caused Knowles to fist away a fine shot, whilst a moment later Robertson put in a dangerous centre, which Houlker managed to clear. The Rovers tried hard to increase their score, but close on the interval Liverpool almost scored from a centre.

On resuming with the wind in their favour, the visitors fared better, but failed badly when close to goal, the Rovers’ bacls invariably getting the upphand. After 15 minutes Crook punced on a weak return, and beat Perkins for the second time, whilst soon after the restart Houlker drove the ball against the crossbar, but Perkins managed to clear.

Liverpool fell away considerably, but Cox once more rounded Crompton, only, however, to shoot over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

The Rovers again came in a body, and Raisbeck was prominent in defence, which was kept fully employed. Liverpool made a spurt towards the close, but failed to score, and were finally beaten as follows: –
Blackburn Rovers, 2; Liverpool, 0.
(Liverpool Mercury, 02-10-1899)

John Cox, Liverpool F.C.
John Cox Liverpool F.C.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.