Liverpool v Wolverhampton Wanderers

November 27, 1899
Liverpool v Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The first League fixture of the season between the above clubs was decided at Anfield, before 13,000 spectators. The teams were as follow:

Liverpool: Harry Storer, General Stevenson, Billy Dunlop, Charlie Wilson, Alex Raisbeck, Rab Howell, John “Sailor” Hunter, John Walker, John T. Hunter, Hugh Morgan, Tom Robertson.
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Tom Baddeley, Harry Davies, Joe Blackett, Hill Griffiths, Ted Pheasant, George Fleming, Joe Tonks, George Harper, George Bowen, Tommy Worton, Jack Miller.
Referee: Mr. John Lewis, Blackburn.

Liverpool started, and after a spell of even play the Wolves took up the running, and made matters extremely warm for the home defence. For fully 20 minutes the visitors demonstrated their superiority in marked fashion, and eventually a long kick by Pheasant glanced off Raisbeck’s head, a corner resulting. The ball was well placed, and after Storer had only partially cleared a high shot, Miller drove the ball into the net.

John “Sailor” Hunter resumed at centre, John T. Hunter taking up the position at outside right, but the Wolves continued to force the play, and shots were showered upon Storer, who saved three times in rapid succession. As the interval approached Liverpool improved, and Hunter got clear away, but his shot was cleared, and another dash by the home forwards enabled Walker to shoot in strongly, Baddeley, however, being on the alert and saving at full length. The Wolves broke away, and Bowen obtaining possession got past the backs, but Dunlop brought him down just outside the penalty line, and from the ensuing kick Storer was almost beaten by a fast shot from Pheasant, but managed to put the ball behind.

The Wolves led at the interval by 1 goal to nil, and on resuming they forced a corner, from which a terrific shot from Pheasant was splendidly cleared by Storer. Liverpool now advanced and beset the Wolves’ defence, their efforts being rewarded after 13 minutes play. A centre from the right wing was rushed into goal, and Walker managed to equalised. Liverpool should have been ahead a few minutes afterwards, a centre from “Sailor” Hunter being met by Morgan, who stood right in front of the posts, but he simply tipped the ball into Baddeley’s hands. The remainder of the game favoured the home side, but they could not again piece the stubborn defence of their opponents. After some smart passing by the Wolves’ left wing, Tonks was given an open goal, but, fortunately for Liverpool, he shot high over the bar. The result of an even game was a draw, the score being as follows: Liverpool 1, Wolverhampton Wanderers 1.
(Liverpool Mercury: November 27, 1899)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.