Burnley v Liverpool 2-1 (League match: December 2, 1899)

December 2, 1899
Match: Football League, First Division, at Turf Moor, kick-off: 14:30.
Burnley – Liverpool 2-1 (0-0).
Attendance: 6,000.
Referee: Mr.J.W. Horrocks.
Burnley (2-3-5): Jack Hillman, Thomas Woolfall, Tom McLintock, Fred Barron, Joe Taylor, Archie Livingstone, Tom Morrison, Edgar Chadwick, Billy Bowes, Walter Place jnr, John Miller.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Harry Storer, General Stevenson, Billy Dunlop, Charlie Wilson, Alex Raisbeck, Rab Howel,  David Wilson, Johnny Walker, John “Sailor” Hunter, Hugh Morgan, Tom Robertson.
The goals: 1-0 Bowes (50 min.), 2-0 Miller (70 min.), 2-1 Walker (75 min.).
** Burnley newspapers’ credit the Liverpool goal to Wilson.

Liverpool journeyed to Burnley for the first of the season’s League games, about 6,000 spectators witnessing the encounter,

The home team started in good style, nd Chadwick tested Storer in the first minute, whereupon Liverpool went down in the left wing, and Morgan sent just over the bar. A spell of even play followed, but at length the Burnley forwards became more aggressive, and Chadwick with a fine shot struck the upright.

A free-kick gave Liverpool relief, and a miskick by Woolfall let in Hunter, whose shot was cleared by Hillman. Burnley were soon busy attacking again, and Place headed over when in a favourable position, much to the disappointment of the home partisans.

Shortly afterwards, from a free-kick, the ball was sent pasy Storer, who had prevously saved in fine style, but after consultation with the linesman the goal was disallowed. Burnley continued their attack, and Storer repeatedly saved cleverly, and up to the interval managed to maintain his charge intact.

On resuming he home forwardsagain assailed the Liverpool goal, but the defence was in grand trim. A smart movement on the Burnley right enabled Chadwick to send across, and Bowes placed the ball in the net, but had the mortification to have the score again disallowed. A moment later Storer cleared a fine centre from Place, but Bowes rushed up and this time scored a legitimate goal.

Burnley kept up the pressure, and Storer saved cleverly, following which the Liverpool backs relieved their lines, and midfield was the scene of operation for some time. Hillman easily dealt with all the fforts of the visitors, though a clever movement by Walker and D. Wilson occasioned troubled to the defence.

The Burnley retaliated, and Miller scored, the referee consulted the linesmen before allowing the point. Right away from the restart Liverpool bore down and Walker scored, and in the closing stages Liverpool pressed very determiedly, but could not equalised.
(Liverpool Mercury, 04-12-1899)

Jack Hillman, Burnley F.C. (Lancashire Evening Post: December 3, 1898).

Tom McLintock, Burnley F.C. (Lancashire Evening Post: November 16, 1901).

Archie Livingstone, Burnley F.C. (Lancashire Evening Post: December 17, 1898).

Harry Storer, Liverpool (Lloyd’s Weekly News: December 1, 1895):


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.