Liverpool v Wolverhampton Wanderers

April 2, 1900
The return League game between the above clubs was decided at Molineux Grounds, before 7,000 spectators. The teams were as follows: –
Liverpool: Bill Perkins, Archie Goldie, Billy Dunlop, Charlie Wilson, Alex Raisbeck (C), William Goldie, Tom Robertson, John Walker, John “Sailor” Hunter, Charles Satterthwaite, John Cox.
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Tom Baddeley, Harry Davies, Joe Blackett, Dan Nurse, Ted Pheasant, George Fleming, George Bowen, George Harper, William Beats, Tommy Worton, John Bryan.

The opening exchanges were in favour of the Wolves, their left wing early testing the defence, but Raisbeck cleared, and the Liverpool front rank breaking away, Cox centred finely, but Hunter just failed to reach the leather. Returning to the attack the Wolves pressed heavily, and Harper skimmed the bar with a lightning shot, and later Dunlop had to kick out to stem an incursion from the right. After a temporary advance by Liverpool the home forwards again clustered round their opponents’ goal, and Perkins saved cleverly from Pheasant.

Liverpool spoiled their play by dallying instead of shooting, and the Wolves were the more dangerous side when in possession. Liverpool improved, and a combined movement was well checked by Blackett, whilst from a sudden rush by the Wolves Perkins again displayed fine form. Hunter led the way in another strong attack, and Satterthwaite sent in a low shot, which Baddeley just scooped out. Close on the interval Harper got away, and shot strongly, but Perkins saved at full length, and the teams retired with the score sheet blank.

The home side pressed on resuming, but Dunlop and Perkins rendered capital service, whilst Raisbeck was always prominent. At length Cox eluded the Wolves’ backs, and centred straight across the goalmouth, where Robertson met the ball, and scored the first goal.

The Wolves strove hard after this reverse, and two corners fell to them without producing any definite result. Relief was brought about, and the Liverpool forwards then applied severe pressure to the home defence. Three unsuccessful corners resulted, and the Wolves’ backs were kept busy. The visitors’ forwards displayed fine form, and the defence likewise acting grandly, the Wolves were unable to make headway. Their play became disjointed, and Liverpool easily held their own, finally gaining a well-deserved victory.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: April 2, 1900)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.