Everton win the Good Friday Derby

Saturday, April 14 – 1900
In marked contrast to previous seasons, the ‘’gate” at Goodison Park was yesterday of very limited proportion, the boisterous weather, not to mention the unsatisfactory progress of the clubs in League football, no doubt accounting for the very poor support accorded the meeting of this local teams.

In the Everton team Alex McDonald filled Jimmy Settle’s position on the left wing, and a further trial was given to John Watson, late of Dundee. Liverpool tried two players, Alf Ferrier of Montrose a centre forward, and Bond of Ripley, as right full back, while Sam Raybould filled the centre half position, and John “Sailor” unter and Rab Howell, inside right and right half respectively. At two o’clock the teams faced each other.

The choice of ends favoured Everton and having the assistance of a strong breeze were the first to make a determined attack. Jack Sharp ran well down, when Bond put in a clever kick and after some uninteresting end to end plays, Liverpool attacked in a body and Tom Robertson scored the first goal.

The friendly character of the contest was evinced by the gently efforts of the players, but after a combined movement on the Everton right wing, Archie Goldie robbed Sharp, and passed to Billy Dunlop to clear. The latter failed to see the move, and Sharp rushing up easily equalised.

A somewhat prolonged attack on the Liverpool goal followed, four corners failing in rapid succession to the home side, but Bill Perkins saved in fine style, and McDonald hitting the post with a tremendous drive relieved the pressure.

A hard drive from Walter Abbott was luckily headed over by Ferrier, and a moment later John Proudfoot dallied when a clear opening was presented. The Liverpool forwards rarely made headway, but eventually John Cox raced away, and Willie Muir had to run out to clear. Close on the change of ends, Proudfoot scored the second goal, and when the whistle blew Everton led by 2 goals to 1.

The game was resumed without delay, and Robertson sprinting gaily along centred, Ferrier failing with a fast low shot to find the net. Perkins saved smartly from Proudfoot and from a nice pass by Hunter, Ferrier with only Muir to beat, was dispossessed before he could get in his shot. Everton by clever footwork on the part of Abbott became aggressive, and McDonald rushing in, defeated Perkins with a capital effort.


The Liverpool forwards for some few minutes hovered dangerous round Muir’s charge, but the back kept their positron intact, and the home custodian was not troubled to any appreciate extent.

At length McDonald led the way to the other end, and put in a couple of very fine shots, his second effort justed skimming the bar. The play was now of a more interesting character and the spectators were not lacking in their appreciation.

Another forward movement resulted in McDonald from a difficult position shooting into the hands of Perkins, and immediately following Muir was called up, to Robertson, and brought off a particularly clever save.

The Liverpool forwards now showed much improved play and plenty of employment was found for the home backs. It was some time that the Everton forwards got into their stride, but tame shots characterised their final efforts, and Perkins had no difficulty in saving.

Close on the finish Muir brought off a smart save from a bully in front of his charge. Nothing further was scored, and the game ended Everton 3, goals; Liverpool, 1 goal.
(Liverpool Mercury, 14-04-1900)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.