Preston North End v Liverpool 1-3 (League match: April 14, 1900)

April 14, 1900
Match, Football League, First Division, at Deepdale, kick-off: 15:30.
Preston North End – Liverpool 1-3 (0-0).
Attendance: 6,000.
Referee: Mr.J.H. Strawson; linesmen: Messrs. J. Atherton and J. Brotherton.
Preston North End (2-3-5): Peter McBride; Hugh Dunn, Richard Orrell; William Eccleston, Peter McIntyre, Jack Elliott; Paddy Murray, George Smith, Jim Stevenson, Daniel Whittle, Adam Henderson.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Bill Perkins; Archie Goldie, Billy Dunlop; Charlie Wilson, Alex Raisbeck (C), William Goldie; Tom Robertson, John Walker, Sam Raybould, Charles Satterthwaite, John Cox.
The goals: 0-1 Satterthwaite (55 min.), 0-2 Robertson (60 min.), 0-3 Cox (75 min.), 1-3 Henderson (85 min., pen.)

This important League fixture was decided at Deepdale, before 6,000 spectators. The result of the match had a considerable bearing on the ultimate position of the contending clubs, and both sides were strongly represented.

1st Half:
** Liverpool started, and Cox missed a grand opening owing to Dunn missing his kick.
** North End attacked strongly, and Perkins had to save from Stevenson,whilst after severe presure Goldie relieved with a timely kick.
** Raisbeck raced away, and tested McBride with a fast, low shot, but the home forwards were quickly busy in the visitors’ quarters again, where Raisbeck rushed in and checked an ugly rush.
** North End were very aggressive, and Perkins saved brilliantly from Smith and Stevenson. This led to the Liverpool forwards retaliating strongly, and the home goal was jeopardised, McBride having several difficult shots to clear.
** As the interval drew near, the home forwards tried hard to open the score, but the defence of Liverpool was excellent, and prevented disaster.

2nd Half:
** Resuming after half-time, play was even for some time, both custodians being called upon.
** The home forwards again bore down on the Liverpool goal, and Perkins saved from Stevenson, whilst Murray’s centre was mulled by Henderson.
** GOAL: At length a sudden rush by the Liverpool left enabled Satterthwaite to send in a low shot, and McBride falling as he was in the act of clearing, the ball was rushed into the net.
** GOAL: Two minutes later, after smart passing between Robertson and Walker, the former centred, and Raybould scored the second goal.
** Satterthwaite was then badly injured, and had to be carried off the field, whilst a moment later Orrell had to leave.
** GOAL: North End played one back, but at length Cox succeeded in eluding Eccleston, and with a hard drive put on the third goal.
** North End was now well beaten, but had hard line in not scoring from a free kick.
** GOAL, PENALTY: Close on time North End were awarded a penalty, and Henderson scored.
(Liverpool Mercury, 16-04-1900)

League position April 1900

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.