Everton v Liverpool

September 24, 1900
Everton v Liverpool
The first of the League engagements between these clubs brought together over 45,000 spectators at Goodison Park. The sides were at full strength, as will be seen from the following list of players:

Everton: Willie Muir, William Balmer, John Watson, Sam Wolstenholme, Tom Booth, Walter Abbott, Jack Sharp, Alex McDonald, John Proudfoot, Jimmy Settle, Joe Turner.
Liverpool: Bill Perkins, Tom. J. Robertson, Billy Dunlop, Charlie Wilson, Alex Raisbeck, William Goldie, Tom Robertson, John Walker, Sam Raybould, Charles Satterthwaite, John Cox.

Everton won the toss, and at once tested the Liverpool defence. Settle was only a trifle wide of the mark with a swift shot and from a free kick against Raisbeck, Sharp sent in a terrific shot to which Perkins cleverly attended. The pace was highly strong the home side being slightly more successful with their movements, but eventually Cox was afforded an opening but could not get the better of Wolstenholme.

Gradually the play became open, and both sides, particularly the halfbacks, who covered the rearguard so ably that neither custodian was called upon for a considerable period, showed some very fine football. Proudfoot lost a chance of scoring by failing to take a pass from Turner, and directly following the Everton goal had a marvellous escape from a capital centre by Robertson, both Cox and Satterthwaite being at fault when but a few yards from Muir. Attacking again, Raisbeck conceded a corner, which was well taken, and from a return, McDonald headed into the net, play having been in progress 30 minutes. Play continued fast and interesting up to the interval, without further scoring.

The second half opened in sensational fashion. The ball had no sooner been put into play, when Cox lifted it over Wolstenholme, and Raybould racing up, slipped between the backs and scored in the first minute. This success put new life into the play of the Liverpool forwards, but there was no defeating the backs, of whom Balmer stood out conspicuously in sound defence.

Abbott attempted to score from long range, and for some time afterwards neither side could claim any advantage. Free kicks were now frequent, and from one of them, Perkins saved splendidly from Settle, while shortly afterwards Booth just skimmed the upright with a fast, low shot. Towards the close Sharp had the better of a tussle with Dunlop, and shot in apparently, out of Perkins reach, but the custodian cleverly yet luckily, met the ball with his foot and prevented a certain score.

Everton pressed severely, and the keeper had again to save from a corner kick, but no further score was forthcoming and the game ended in a draw of 1 goal each.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: September 24, 1900)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.