Southampton v Liverpool

February 8, 1902
Southampton v Liverpool.
At the Dell, Southampton, before a great crowd. The ground was in splendid condition when the teams lined up, as follows: –
Liverpool: Bill Perkins, Billy Dunlop, Tom J. Robertson, William Goldie, Alex Raisbeck, Charlie Wilson, John Cox, George Fleming, Andy McGuigan, John “Sailor” Hunter, Tom Robertson.
Southampton: Jack Robinson, Charles Burgess Fry, George Molyneux, Sammy Meston, Tommy Bowman, Bert Lee, Arthur Turner, Henry Wood, Arthur Brown, Edgar Chadwick, Joe Turner.
Referee: Mr. T. Kirkham, Stoke.

Brown put the ball in motion, and Raisbeck fouling Brown a minute later, Liverpool were in danger from the resultant free kick, but Raisbeck robbed Joe Turner when the winger appeared certain to score. Southampton kept up the pressure, and Perkins only just tipped over the bar a beautiful shot from Turner. Then for a time the game was keenly contested in mid-field. Robinson ran out and cleared his charge from a long shot. Perkins was severely tested by Chadwick, but saved splendidly. Immediately after Robertson put in a beauty, which Robinson kept out when laid full length.

Chadwick put Southampton in front after Brown had missed from close in. Perkins had no chance with the shot. Southampton kept up the attack, and Lee added a second goal for them with a magnificent long shot, which curled past Perkins into the corner of the net. The Saints were completely outplaying Liverpool, and Perkins had a very warm time, the home forwards shooting often and well. Raisbeck got away, and shot well once, but the Saints were still pressing when half-time came.

Half-time – Southampton 2, Liverpool 0.

Cox tested Robinson with a skier just after the restart, but the gaoler was equal to the occasion. Liverpool kept up the attack, and a shot from McGuigan struck the crossbar. Robinson ran right out and cleared from Hunter. The Saints returned to the attack following a free kick against the visitors, but Robertson and Dunlop defended well, and set their forwards going. The Liverpool left wingers tested Robinson twice in quick succession without, and at three-quarters time Liverpool were attacking.

Dunlop put the ball past Robinson from a free kick for a foul against Raisbeck, but the ball had touched no one in its flight. Joe Turned added a third goal for the Saints. The Fleming scored. Chadwick gave Southampton their fourth point. The closing stages were marred by rough play by Liverpool, who were repeatedly penalised and took their defeat with bad grace.

Result. – Southampton 4, Liverpool 1.
(Source: Lancashire Evening Post: February 8, 1902)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.