Preston North End Reserves v Liverpool Reserves

November 15, 1902
Preston North End Reserves: Scott, Jack Warner, Joe Derbyshire, Ben Sanderson, Ted Forshaw, Bert Tickle, Dickie Bond, Tom Bradshaw, Herbie Danson, John Catterall, Jim Shorrock.
Liverpool Reserves: Bill Perkins, Don McCallum, White, William Taylor, George Fleming, Andrew Raisbeck, Andy McGuigan, Jack Parkinson, George Latham, Tommy Green, Yates.

Both teams got off of the mark in rare style, and Bond and Shorrock early on gave Perkins dangerous shots to deal with. Yates and Green relieved the pressure, and for five minutes the Preston defence had to put in all they knew to keep out the persistent Liverpool forwards.

Warner was badly kicked, and had to leave the field, but playing the one-back game, the homesters completely held the Liverpudlians, and Bond headed an accurate centre by Shorrock a foot over the bar.

The fleet ring winger also made a poor use of a clear opening, shooting wide when he might have dribbled through. After 18 minutes Bradshaw put the crowd in an excellent humour by scoring a fine goal from twenty yards’ range, Perkins being altogether beaten by a fast shot which entered the far corner of the goal.

Liverpool, a powerful and strongly-built eleven – tried hard to equalise, but were repeatedly pulled up for offside, and frequent bursts of applause greeted the really clever work by the home halves and forwards.

Perkins fell full length in saving from Shorrock, and the Liverpool goal had a further narrow escape when McCallum kicked straight into the air, but Perkins fisted away. After 35 minutes Parkinson equalised with a header after Scott had saved a hot attempt by Latham.

Scott, in goal, and Danson, in the centre, did some excellent things, but although both goals were attacked there was no further scoring up to the interval. Half-time – North End Reserves 1, Liverpool Reserves, 1.

Warner did not turn out on resuming, and thus handicapped, the homesters had to act on the defensive for the first few minutes. Bradshaw missed a rare chance of putting his side ahead, but after ten minutes McGuigan eluded Preston’s only back, and dribbled close in. Scott ran in and saved his shot, but the ball unluckily cannoned against the hands of McGuigan, who had no difficulty in reaching the net. The homesters’ claim for “hands” was ignored.

Subsequently North End had much the best of matters, but finished weakly. A difficult shot from the touch-line gave Perkins a lot of trouble. The Liverpool defenders frequently kicked out to save their lines amidst the disapproval of the crowd.

Bradshaw and Bond outwitted the Liverpool defence, and from the last named’s centre Shorrock essayed a drop shot at goal, which skimmed the crossbar. Immediately afterwards Bond had similar hard lines, a fierce shot from close quarters cannoning wide off a defender.

Fifteen minutes from the finish North End met with well-earned success, Shorrock beating Perkins with a low, oblique shot, which the custodian had no chance of saving. Urged on by cries of nearly 4,000 spectators the home forwards played with great spirit, and the Liverpool defenders were kept continually on the move.

Play was exciting in the last five minutes, the home forwards being always on the attack. A fast drive by Sanderson struck Perkins on the chest, and although the homesters completely held their opponents they could not go ahead.

Result – North End Reserves 2, Liverpool Reserves 2.
(Source: Lancashire Evening Post: November 15, 1902)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.