Accrington Stanley v Liverpool Reserves 5-1 (League match: December 6, 1902)

December 6, 1902
Reserves, Lancashire Combination, at Moorhead Park.
Accrington Stanley – Liverpool Reserves 5-1 (3-0).
Attendance: “Good attendance”.
Referee: Mr. Jack Howcroft (Bolton).
Accrington Stanley (2-3-5): Walker; Finney, Boulton; Goulding, J Bradshaw, Hardman; Morgan, Watkins, Matt Brunton, Joe Hargreaves, W. Bradshaw.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Bill Perkins; Don McCallum, White; William Taylor, George Fleming, Andrew Raisbeck; Robert Roberts, Tommy Green, Robert Pennycock, John Carlin, Yates.
The goals: 1-0 Brunton, 2-0 Brunton, 3-0 Brunton, 4-0 Pennycock, 5-0 Watkins, 5-1 Carlin.

The ground was frostbound, and the visitors through losing the toss had to face the sun. The visitors at once got going, and Pennycock failed to utilise a splendid opening. Even play followed, and eventually Jos. Hargreaves got in a very good shot, which Perkins negotiated.

After this the homesters became aggressive, and a few fruitless corners were secured. J. Bradshaw tried a high dropping shot over the heads of his opponents, and Perkins smartly placed it over the bar at the cost of a corner.

From this the Liverpool goal was in jeopardy, Perkins falling in an attempt to scoop out, Morgan rushed up and landed the ball into the net, but he was ruled offside, the ball eventually being transferred to midfield. W. Bradshaw and Hargreaves were applauded for a tricky dribble from the left.

Hardman tried a long shot with ground scraper. A series of good efforts were made by the homesters, who tried the short-passing game. The ball, however, travelled very quickly, and once when it was landed in the Accrington territory Carlin shot wretchedly. White robbed Hopkins. Morgan swung the ball across to the left. Brunton received, and just shot a trifle too high.

Perkins saved badly, and Morgan got a splendid centre, which there was no one to receive. Brunton was twice conspicuous, and the second time he passed Bradshaw when he had hard lines with a header which touched the crossbar. Brunton got a daisy cutter, but it lacked sting. He was at length rewarded, however, with a goal as the result of a sharp scramble.

The homesters had had the best of the game, and shot at every opportunity. Brunton added a third after the ball had cannoned off Perkins, whilst Walker effected a grand save at the other end. Half-time – Accrington Stanley 3, Liverpool Reserves 0.

Pennycock and Green changed places on the resumption. White fouled Morgan, and a penalty was awarded. It was taken by Brunton, who hit the goalkeeper. From the rebound the ball was scrimmaged up and W. Bradshaw put through.

Pennycock had a possible chance but shot a yard wide. Liverpool pressed for about five minutes but lacked sting. A fine passing exhibition was seen between Brunton and Watkins, the centre forward hitting the under-side of the crossbar with a terrific shot, the ball rebounding into play.

Brunton dallied too long when he had only Perkins to face, a futile corner resulting. Accrington had the game almost all their own way, Finney on one occasion carrying the ball well up before shooting. Goulding fell heavily with his legs under him, and had to be carried off the field.

W. Bradshaw went left half, and Hardman took Goulding’s place, the game being continued with four forwards. Watkins added a fifth with a slow shot, which Perkins might have saved. Liverpool played up better towards the finish, and Carlin opened their account.
Result – Stanley 5, Liverpool Reserves 1.
(Source: Lancashire Evening Post: December 6, 1902)


One comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.