Liverpool Reserves beaten by Nelson

September 16, 1903
The Nelson team desported themselves on the Park ground on Saturday, and gained their second victory of the season over the Liverpool Reserve team. The weather, fortunately, was excellent, and the ground, considering the recent deluge, was in good condition. Before a good attendance of spectators the teams lined up as follows: –

Nelson: Matt Walker, Arthur Cowell, Pomfret, Holden, Johnson, Harry Hindle, Morris, Watkins, Hodgkinson, Kay, Neyland.
Liverpool Reserves: Glaister, Joe Hoare, John McLean, John Hughes, Andrew Raisbeck, Charles Morgan, George Latham, Roach, Francis McMullen, Jack Parkinson, Richard Morris.

Early on Nelson pressed, but a corner availed nothing, and then Mat Walker had to run out of his goal to clear as the result of a breakaway by the Liverpudlians. Free kicks against Nelson were cleared by Watkins, and then Cowell, but despite this the home team had rather the better of the play, in which Neyland, the new outside left, was prominent with some useful work. From a grand centre Hodgkinson narrowly missed scoring, his shot just passing over the bar. Neyland being fouled just inside the penalty area, Nelson were awarded a penalty against their opponents. Watkins sent in a fast shot, which hit Glaister full in the chest, and as it rebounded he rushed up and planted the ball in the net, thus registering the first point. The Liverpool custodian was winded by the first shot, but soon recovered. Liverpool, after this reverse, infused more dash into their play and pressed the home defence for some time, but relief was afforded the defenders by a free-kick. Raisbeck, who played a grand game at centre half, frequently placed his side on the attack, but Nelson came again, and after some fine play Kay scored at close quarters with a shot which gave Glaister no chance. Just before the interval Liverpool rushed down the field and McMullen sent the ball through, but the point was disallowed on the plea that he had carried it through.

The second moiety began with Nelson leading by two goals, and play ruled fast, each end being frequently visited. After Walker had cleared from Parkinson, Hodgkinson missed a grand chance right in front of the visitors’ goal. Nelson still had the measure of their opponents, whose goal narrowly escaped consequent on McLean’s missing his kick. A long shot by Johnson went wide, and a further chance for the home team to augment their lead was lost through offside play. Pomfret afterwards dispossessed Morris when this Liverpudlian seemed to get dangerous, and later Walker saved from McMullen, who broke through. In the concluding stages Liverpool attacked, but in the end retired beaten by two goals to nil.
(Source: Burnley Express: September 16, 1903)

The Lancashire Combination on September 16 – 1903
Lancashire Combination 12 Sep 1903

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.