Liverpool Senior Cup Final

January 3, 1905
Liverpool v Everton.
Liverpool and Everton met yesterday afternoon in the final of the Liverpool Cup. There was a fine holiday crowd at Anfield, there being some 25,000 people present at the start. Some curious changes were made in the Liverpool team, Cox going centre forward, while Fleming and Morris formed the left wing. Wilson displaced Fleming at back. Everton also made some changes, Crelly appearing at back, Rankin displacing Jack Sharp, and Hanlin playing right half vice Sam Ashworth.

Liverpool: Ned Doig, Alf West, Billy Dunlop, Maurice Parry, Alex Raisbeck, Charlie Wilson, Arthur Goddard, Robert Robinson, John Cox, Richard Morris, George Fleming.
Everton: William Scott, William Balmer, Jack Crelly, Pat Hanlin, Jack Taylor, Walter Abbott, Bruce Rankin, Tommy McDermott, Sandy Young, Willie McLaughlin, Harold Hardman.

Everton started the ball, and the Blues soon became dangerous. Hardman, who finished with an accurate centre, made a grand run. Young got it, and beat Doig at close quarters. but for some reason the referee gave Young offside.

Liverpool then attacked on the left, but the defence prevailed, and the Blues, aided by a free kick, were soon at work at the other end, where the ball was put behind after Doig had fisted out. A further attack by Liverpool was repulsed, and the visiting right was getting off when Dunlop fouled Rankin, Doig fisted away the free kick.

The crowd, whose partially found free vent, followed the game with great interest. Young got possession, despite the efforts of Raisbeck, and passing out to Hardman, the latter shot wide. Midfield play followed, until Taylor tripped Cox. From the free kick the Everton goal had a narrow escape. Fleming ought to have got through, and Robinson in trying to remedy the error, got offside, his shot, however, being charge down.

The game continued fast and exciting, and both ends were visited in turn. After a run by the home right Parry called on Scott, who saved easily a long shot, and then Raisbeck put in a fine effort from long range, the Everton custodian again saying well. McDermott gave Rankin a chance, but Raisbeck chipped in and cleared. Cox, and Robinson kept the visiting defence busy for a spell, a free kick for Everton relieving the pressure. From this Hardman got possession although he looked offside. The whistle did not sound, but the wingers shot went wide of the mark.

The Everton forwards got going, a claim for hands against McLaughlin being disregarded, and McDermott got in a low shot after some nice passing. Doig kicking clear, Brown initiated an attack by the Reds but Robinson was given offside. Taylor served his forwards nicely, but first Parry and then West cleared the lines. Another nice passing movement by the Blues carried play in front of Doig, whose charge had a narrow escape. Raisbeck averting a disaster at the expense of a fruitless corner.

A centre from Goddard brought no advantage, Cox failing to make progress. A moment later Goddard gave Cox an opening, and passing out Fleming raced up, but the off-side rule intervened. For some time play was in the Everton half, but the visiting defenders were not too hardly pressed. A nice run by the Everton right produced no tangible result, and at the other end Richard Morris gave Cox a chance of a shot, which the new centre promptly seized Scott bringing of an effective clearance.

West had to kick into touch to avoid Hardman and afterwards Doig in clearing a slow ball clean missed his kick and Raisbeck cleared at expense of a corner, which was put behind. Taylor checked a rush by the Liverpool right. Young was getting dangerous when Parry brought him down just outside the penalty line, the free kick proving unavailing.

At the other end Fleming got possession from Balmer, and Cox sent in a grand shot, which luckily for Everton, struck the crossbar, and glanced behind. It was the best shot of the day, and its failure was a stroke of ill fortune for Liverpool.

In a further attack, Scott kept out a header from Cox, the Reds now having the best of the play. Some nice passing was seen on both sides, but it was a tricky pass by Morris, which put Fleming on the move. The winger centred, and Robinson got possession with a clear opening. He ran through, and despite the efforts of Hanlin and Balmer he steered the leather past Scott into the net. The second leagues thus got the first goal of the day against their “classy” opponents.

Goddard afterwards sent behind and a few minutes later Hardman was hurt in colliding with Doig, who run out to clear. He limped to the side of the field, but soon resumed. Everton then pressed, and a bully ensued in the home goal. Taylor putting the ball through. A minute later the whistle sounded for the interval.

The first incident of notice in the second half was a grand shot by Hardman, which was well saved by Doig. Aided by several free kicks Everton attacked strongly, but the Anfield defence prevailed. The Lord major (Mr. John Lea) arrived at this stage to present the cup to the winners, and he took a seat in the director’s box.

Liverpool afterwards attacked on the right, and Goddard put in a shot from long range. Scott appeared to touch the ball, which, however, glanced into the net. Liverpool were therefore as goal ahead.

Everton had the best of play after this, although the forwards play was rather spoiled by a tendency to get offside. They forced a couple of corners, but without avail, and a dash to the other end by Liverpool was equally fruitless although Scott had to save from Cox.

The game continued full of interest, both sides striving hard. After fast and even play Cox dashed off on his own beating Crelly for speed scored again for Liverpool amidst tremendous enthusiasm when only about five minutes remained for play.

Liverpool were still the better team and Goddard with a grand shot scored a second again putting Liverpool ahead by four goals to one. Liverpool thus once more gained the cup.

Final Liverpool 4 goals Everton 1.

Presenting the cup
The cup was presented by Lord Mayor to Raisbeck. Cox secured the ball. There was tremendous enthusiasm, thousands of spectators crowding round. The Hon Mrs Victor Stanley presented the medals.

A vote of thanks was passed to the Lord Mayor on the motion of Dr William Whitford, a directors of the Everton Club seconded by Alderman Ephraim Walker.
(Source: Liverpool Courier: January 3, 1905)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.