Everton v Liverpool 2-1 (FA Cup: February 8, 1905)

February 8, 1905
Match: FA Cup, First Round, Replay, at Goodison Park, kick-off: 15:00.
Everton – Liverpool 2-1 (1-0).
Attendance: 25,000 (40,000 at the start of the second half).
Referee: Mr. John Lewis (Blackburn); linesmen: Messrs. J. Cooper and A. Briggs.
Everton (2-3-5): Leigh Roose, Bob Balmer, Jack Crelley, Harry Makepeace, Jack Taylor, Walter Abbott, Jack Sharp, Tommy McDermott, Sandy Young, Jimmy Settle, Harold Hardman.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Ned Doig, Alf West, Billy Dunlop, Maurice Parry, Alex Raisbeck, George Fleming, Arthur Goddard, John Carlin, Jack Parkinson, Sam Raybould, John Cox.
The goals: 1-0 McDermott (3 min.), 1-1 Goddard (49 min.), 2-1 Hardman (85 min.).

Harry Makepeace, Everton F.C. (Athletic News: October 16, 1905)


Success of the first leaguers.
At the time of asking the Liverpool and Everton Football Clubs were unable to decide as to which team would participate in the Second Round of the English Cup ties. Saturday’s draw of one goal each at Anfield-road necessitated a replay at Goodison-park, and in view of League fixtures at the end of the week, it was decided that the teams should meet again yesterday afternoon.

Owing to the possibility of extra time having to be played the start was fixed for three o’clock. While Liverpool players had been in training at their Southport quarters, the Evertonians had spent a couple of days at Stafford. Only one alteration was made from the sides, which met at Anfield-road, Robinson, Liverpool’s inside right being replaced owing to injuries by Carlin, who so greatly distinguished himself in the reserve match at Goodison-park.

The intense interest which game shown by the fact that long before the time for the kick off thousands of people made their way to Goodison Park, and when the teams made their appearance the turnstiles were still clicking merrily.

There would be fully 25,000 spectators when the game started – a splendid gate for a mild-weather was nice and genial Everton won the toss, and had the advantage of a slight breeze. Parkinson started a few minutes before three o’clock, and the first aggressive movements came from the Reds.

It was only momentary and when the Everton forwards tried to get away Young was pulled up for offside. Though Raisbeck was conspicuous with smart tackling, the home right became dangerous, but a shot could not be got in at Doig.

Then Cox raced off in great style only to be cleverly robbed by Crelly at the critical moments. Everton again beat back their opponents, and after the ball had passed between Sharp and McDermott, the latter with Dunlop apparently at fault beat Doig all the way. This early success was greeted with tremendous cheering from the Everton section of the crowd.

Liverpool, however, were not dismayed, and a smart attack ended in Carlin being adjudged off-side just as he had put in a fighting shot at Roose. Everton soon asserted their superiority and Doig and his backs had an anxious time of it, but the danger was averted. Raisebeck passing well forward, Cox fastened on to the ball, and with Balmer slipping, had a clear shot at Roose, who fisted away in his best style.

Each side attacked in turn, and if anything, the Liverpool forwards were the more dangerous. Roose’s position was no sinecure, but he was never in difficulties. Fleming ended a rather prolonged spell of pressure by the Reds through a foul, but they were back again, and once more Roose had his work cut out to save his charge. The amateur fisted out all kicked away, with equal certainly, and it was well for his side that he was in his finest form.

A dash to the right found Dunlop hard pressed, and though Sharp got in a centre, Hardman was obviously offside when he tried to intercept the pass. A period of midfield play followed with shouts from the crowd for their favourites and “play up” Sharp was too clever for Dunlop and leaving him standing still the home outside right called upon Doig with a high dropping shot. The veteran dealt with it successfully, but no persistent were the attentions of the Everton front line that the ball hovered dangerously near the Liverpool goal.

Raisbeck was the main factor in removing the venue, and from a throw-in Parkinson missed a splendid chance of equalising. A moment later an exciting bully occurred in the Everton goalmouth, and it was marvellous how the goal was not captured; Parkinson eventually shot wide. Raisbeck was a tower of strength to his side for he not only kept his eye on Young, but he fed his forwards on every possible occasion.

So far the Reds had enjoyed more of the play than their First League antagonists, although they were a goal behind. Once a foul was given against Roose for putting a back to an opponent, and amid intense excitement, the ball was sent safely over the Everton line.

A huge kick by Dunlop placed Liverpool on the offensive, and after Goddard had centred. Roose effected a marvellous save, from Cox’s header. Everton retaliated, and had the advantage of a free kick, but there was little sting in their efforts. Again the Liverpool forwards were swarming round Roose. Their persistency deserved to be rewarded. Crelly intercepted a lofty centre from Cox in the nick of time, and then with a long shot, Raisbeck sent over the bar.

Hardman could make little impression on West, but by the aid of free kicks, and thrown-in, Everton kept the play in their opponents half. The game was temporarily stopped owing to an injury to Fleming, who, however, was soon able to resume. Abbott was prominent with fine defensive work, and the excitement was great when from a free kick, West planted the ball in dangerous proximity to Roose. Crelly at one end and Dunlop at the other attracted attention by reason of their admirable kicking, and for a time play was fairly even.

Doig easily negotiated a long shot from Taylor, and once more the Liverpool forwards made strenuous, though unsuccessful, efforts to gain the equalising point. A miskick by West found Dunlop ready to cover his fault, and immediately afterwards the Liverpool left back distinguished himself. From Sharp’s centre Settle headed over.

Then the interval arrival with the score, Everton 1 goal, Liverpool nil.

When the game restarted the attendances was estimated at nearly 40,000. Liverpool quickly forced a corner, and from the flag kick Cox placed the ball behind the post. A run down on, the Everton right did not materialise, and the Reds again advanced on the left. Cox was brought down, and from the free kick the ball was passed back to Dunlop, who sent the ball crosses the field to Goddard, who equalised with a capital shot, the ball finding a resting place in the corner of the net. This was four minutes from the resumption, and it had the effect of intensifying the keenest of the struggle.

Each end was visited, and whilst Raisbeck shot amongst the spectators a brilliant effort by Makeapeace was only diverted by Doig at the expense of a fruitless corner. Liverpool pressed hard, Raisbeck in particular playing a grand game.

At this period Liverpool were unquestionably the superior team, and Everton were fortunate in escaping further downfall.

Next Liverpool were lucky, a shot from Hardman being diverted over the line by the merest chance. Both sides were straining every nerve to gain the leading point, and the incitement was maintained at fever heat Cox was winded, and was attended to by the trainer’ at the side of the field. After some uneventful play Everton obtained a corner, which was not improved upon, and at the other end Roose punched away a high dropping centre from Goddard.

Young was too well watched to cause much trouble, but for all that the Everton attack showed signs of improvement, both Settle and McDermott being responsible for dangerous efforts.

At the other end Roose exhibited good judgement in running out to meet Parkinson. Liverpool tried desperately hard, and with a little luck might easily have scored. Abbott banged the ball against the side of the net, and then, after West had kick a cross the field, Sharp centred to Hardman, who defeated Doig five minutes from the finish.

This was practically the end of the game, for though Liverpool made strenuous efforts they were unable to draw level. When the whistle blew, Everton had gained the victory by two goals to nil.
(Liverpool Courier, 09-02-1905)

Sketch from the Liverpool Football Echo, February 11 – 1905.
1905 EFC v LFC sketch

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.