September 2, 1905
Match: Football League, First Division, at Manor Ground, kick-off: 15:30.
Woolwich Arsenal – Liverpool 3-1 (0-0).
Referee: Mr. A.W. Cooknell; linesmen: Messrs. W. Clayton and C.R. Hall.
Woolwich Arsenal (2-3-5): Jimmy Ashcroft, Archie Gray, Jimmy Sharp, John Dick, Percy Sands, Roddy McEachrane, Jim Bellamy, Tim Coleman, Charles Satterthwaite, Jimmy Blair, Bobby Templeton.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Ned Doig, Alf West, Billy Dunlop, Maurice Parry, Alex Raisbeck, George Fleming, Arthur Goddard, Robert Robinson, Jack Parkinson, Sam Raybould, John Cox.
The goals: 0-1 Robinson (50 min., assist: Cox), 1-1 Coleman (55 min.), 2-1 Blair (70 min.), 3-1 Satterthwaite (85 min.).
** Sam Raybould missed a penalty kick for Liverpool.
* Liverpool Daily Post: “Defeated and Jack Parkinson injured”.
Images from the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatical News, 09-09-1905.
(1) Liverpool about to clear;
(2) Woolwich score their first goal;
(3) Second goal til Woolwich;
(4) A run by the Arsenal left-wing;
(5) Jimmy Ashcroft fists out for the Arsenal;
(6) The Woolwich Arsenal team;
(7) and (8) The boys of the East London Industrial School entertain the crowd with a gymnastic display before the kick off.
Robert Robinson, Liverpool F.C. (Athletic News: December 25, 1905).
Jimmy Sharp, Woolwich Arsenal F.C. (Athletic News: January 8, 1906).
Tim Coleman, Woolwich Arsenal F.C. (Athletic News: October 23, 1905).
Percy Sands, Woolwich Arsenal F.C. (Athletic News: October 9, 1905).
Jimmy Blair, Woolwich Arsenal F.C. (Athletic News: October 2, 1905).