Football League meeting (September 8, 1905)

September 8, 1905
Yesterday the Management Committee of the Football League met at Liverpool. They were first entertained to lunch at the Bee Hotel by the directors of the Liverpool Football Club. In the absence of Mr. Edwin Berry, the chairman, Mr. John McKenna presided.

Apart from the Liverpool directors, there were present: Mr. John James Bentley, President: Messrs. John Lewis and H. Radford, Vice Presidents; Dr James Baxter, Charles Sutcliffe, H. Keys, William Macgregor (life member), and Tom Charnley, secretary.

Interesting ceremonies.
After lunch Mr. Bentley, on behalf of the League presented the shield won by the Liverpool Club as champions of the Second Division last season.

Mr. Tom Watson, the Liverpool secretary, in acknowledging the presentation, said that although the Liverpool club had their ups and downs, they enjoyed the unique experience of having won the Championship of each division in which they had been engaged.

Subsequently Mr. T.H. Sidney, of Wolverhampton, the retiring senior Vice President of the League, was the recipient of an illuminated address signed by the chairman and secretaries of all the clubs in the League, and also an album containing the photos of past and present members of the Management Committee.

Mr. Sidney feelingly acknowledged the presentation, and expressed his regret that other public duties demanded so much of his time.

Transfer business.
Afterwards the Management Committee, under the presidency of Mr. Bentley, held their monthly meeting.

Regarding Jack Morris, of Bristol, who had applied for a free transfer, the committee confirmed the action of the president in fixing the amount at £20. The President was appointed to sanction transfers pending the decision of the Management Committee.

The transfers from Barnsley to Sheffield Wednesday of George Stacey and Joe Ryalls were fixed at £10 and £25 respectively.

The committee granted an amateur named James Wootton, of Aston Villa, who had signed a professional form for Clapton, a free transfer, and £50 was the amount fixed for the transfer from Bristol to Clapton of Walter Leigh and George Lamberton.

Birmingham asked £40 from Stockport for the transfer of a man named Arthur Waters. The committee granted a free transfer.

No action was taken respecting an application by Archie Goodall, of Glossop, for a free transfer.

Barnsley fined.
Stockport County were fined a guinea for playing Albert Pemble, a goalkeeper, before registering him with the League, and Barnsley were fined two guineas for opening eighteen minutes late at Hull on September 2nd.

Referees for next month were appointed.
(Sheffield Evening Telegraph: September 9, 1909)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.