April 21, 1906
Since the new Liverpool Football Company was formed progress in every direction has been recorded.
In a playing sense particularly has this been prominently brought before the public, seeing that a club which last season had to fight in the Second Division of the League is now at the top of the table in the premier division.
Financially, too, the club have exceeded anticipations. Not only has the sum of £2,000 been paid towards the purchase of the ground, but a substantial balance remains in the bank as the result of the season’s working, and there is every prospect that the remaining home League matches and the share of the semi-final gate will mean an addition of something like £2,000 to the coffers of the club.
The directors for some months past have been seriously engaged in considering the very important question of increasing the accommodation for spectators. At the present time the attendance of about 28,000 people taxes the holding capacity of the ground to its utmost capacity.
The directors have now decided upon their scheme of improvements in respect of the enclosure for next season. They had the alternative of launching a gigantic proposal or proceeding cautiously in the direction of increasing the facilities offered to the football enthusiasts of the city.
The former idea meant the raising of a large sum of money, and the directors have widely decided not to be too ambitious, but to attain their object by degree, and in a manner which will not inflict upon them burdensome financial obligations.
The scheme which has been adopted may be briefly stated. The intention is to transfer the present grand stand to the opposite side of the ground, and while demolishing the stand now existing, to not only increase the narrow passage to a width of 16 feet, but to add to the height of the new stand so as to provide for a paddock in front to accommodate many thousands of spectators.
The playing pitch, of course, will have to be extended towards the present grand stand, and it is not intended as yet to interfere with the end stands except to extend them to meet the new requirements.
The site of the big stand will be made into a huge cinder bank, the intention being at a later date to put up a new stand which will be the finest in the country.
The alterations as already decided upon will, it is estimated, provide accommodation for 37,000 or 38,000 people, and eventually the second stand which is to be erected will render the holding capacity of the ground equal to 45,000, which, except under abnormal circumstances, is rarely exceeded.
(Sheffield Evening Telegraph: April 21, 1906)