June 11, 1906
A successful season.
Important ground improvements.
The annual meeting of the directors and shareholders of the Liverpool Football Club, Limited, took place at the Carlton Restaurant last evening, Mr. Edwin Berry presiding over a large gathering. The other directors present were Messrs. John McKenna, John Asbury, William Coward Briggs, William Robert Williams, John Fare, John James Ramsay, and Albert Worgan.
In moving the adoption of the report, Mr. Berry said they had every reason to congratulate themselves upon having had the largest gates last year since the club had been in existence (applause).
How successful their season had been was shown in the three splendid trophies which they had secured, the League Championship, the Liverpool Cup, and the Dewar Shield.
The chairman went on to explain what the directors had done in purchasing the ground from Mr. William Houlding. That purchase would be completed in 1907.
The ground was now being considerably altered and improved, and although the transformation would not be complete, they hoped that by September next fully 40,000 would have accommodation to see every point of the game (applause).
When completed, the alterations, he assured them, would make the ground the best equipped one in England (applause). The chairman in conclusion, intimated that it was intended to shortly issue more shares, the allocation of which would be made pro rata in favour of original subscribers (applause).
Mr. John McKenna seconded the resolution, which was unanimously adopted.
On the motion of Mr. Asbury, seconded by Mr. Fare, a dividend of 5 per cent. for the year was declared.
Mr. Tom Watson, in a resume of the season’s doings, remarked that in their first year as a newly formed company they had the honour to be acclaimed League champions. Furthermore, their sideboard contained the Liverpool Senior Cup and the Dewar Shield. The club had had consequently a large share in the football honours, and could claim, what was best of all, consistency (hear, hear).
During the season the directors were fully alive to the need of strengthening the ranks, but they adopted the policy of strengthening only by means of signing on players of known and indisputable ability or juniors of great promise. That policy had proved the right one.
James Bradley, of Stoke was obtained, and he filled the lacking quantity in the half back line. Then Jack Parkinson’s enforced absence led the directors to place Joe Hewitt as the pivot of the team. Their judgment proved correct, and they rejoiced that Hewitt justified the confidence reposed in him, and congratulated him upon the rapid improvements he made each week till he became one of the leading centre forwards of the season (applause).
Sam Hardy, whom the club signed on from Chesterfield before the season was commenced, was called upon when Ned Doig injured himself, and so well did he keep guard in goal that, after once gaining a place in the senior ranks, he never lost hold of it (hear, hear).
He reminded the meeting that the club had won the Liverpool Cup five times, and the last season’s victory somewhat recompensed for the downfall of the colours in the English Cup. With regard to the latter, they extended their sincerest congratulations to the Cup winners. It was high time that a city full of football enthusiasm like Liverpool should have the English Cup brought to the Merseyside (applause).
During the season several of their players, as usual, were ordered to the front to serve their country, and Alex Raisbeck, the respected captain, was not only capped, but was chosen to captain of the Scottish side. Billy Dunlop, too, received a cap, and Maurice Parry and George Latham played for Wales in representative matches.
Bradley played in the Inter-League and North and South match. Further awards of merit have to be recorded in another sphere, as Mr. John McKenna was as energetic as ever in carrying out the duties of a committee-man of the managing section of the League. Mr. McKenna had been re-elected also to the chairmanship of the Lancashire Combination (applause).
After paying a tribute to the services of the players, Mr. Watson stated that the following players had been signed on for next season: –
Goal: Sam Hardy and Ned Doig.
Backs: Alf West, Billy Dunlop, Percy Saul, Tom Chorlton, and Harry Griffiths.
Half-backs: Maurice Parry, Alex Raisbeck, James Bradley, George Latham, James Hughes, Sam Hignett, Charlie Wilson, and George Fleming.
Forwards: Arthur Goddard, Jack Parkinson, Robert Robinson, Joe Hewitt, Sam Raybould, Jon Cox, John Carlin, Robert Blanthorne, John Graham, and Jack Lipsham.
A noteworthy addition to their playing strength was the signing on of Percy Saul, who was transferred by Plymouth Argyle.
In conclusion, he said they had always been a club of ups and downs (laughter). He trusted they had finished with the latter, and that upwards was their future motto (applause).
Messrs. Briggs, Parr, and Worgan were re-elected directors, and the meeting closed with a vote of thanks to the chairman.
(Source: Liverpool Daily Post: June 12, 1906)
The Chairman Mr. Edwin Berry.