June 11, 1906
A successful season.
Important ground improvements.
The annual meeting of the directors and shareholders of the Liverpool Football Club, Limited, took place at the Carlton Restaurant last evening, Mr. Edwin Berry presiding over a large gathering. The other directors present were Messrs. John McKenna, John Asbury, William Coward Briggs, William Robert Williams, John Fare, John James Ramsay, and Albert Worgan.
In moving the adoption of the report, Mr. Berry said they had every reason to congratulate themselves upon having had the largest gates last year since the club had been in existence (applause).
How successful their season had been was shown in the three splendid trophies which they had secured, the League Championship, the Liverpool Cup, and the Dewar Shield.
The chairman went on to explain what the directors had done in purchasing the ground from Mr. William Houlding. That purchase would be completed in 1907.
The ground was now being considerably altered and improved, and although the transformation would not be complete, they hoped that by September next fully 40,000 would have accommodation to see every point of the game (applause).
When completed, the alterations, he assured them, would make the ground the best equipped one in England (applause). The chairman in conclusion, intimated that it was intended to shortly issue more shares, the allocation of which would be made pro rata in favour of original subscribers (applause).
Mr. John McKenna seconded the resolution, which was unanimously adopted.
On the motion of Mr. Asbury, seconded by Mr. Fare, a dividend of 5 per cent. for the year was declared.
Mr. Tom Watson, in a resume of the season’s doings, remarked that in their first year as a newly formed company they had the honour to be acclaimed League champions. Furthermore, their sideboard contained the Liverpool Senior Cup and the Dewar Shield. The club had had consequently a large share in the football honours, and could claim, what was best of all, consistency (hear, hear).
During the season the directors were fully alive to the need of strengthening the ranks, but they adopted the policy of strengthening only by means of signing on players of known and indisputable ability or juniors of great promise. That policy had proved the right one.
James Bradley, of Stoke was obtained, and he filled the lacking quantity in the half back line. Then Jack Parkinson’s enforced absence led the directors to place Joe Hewitt as the pivot of the team. Their judgment proved correct, and they rejoiced that Hewitt justified the confidence reposed in him, and congratulated him upon the rapid improvements he made each week till he became one of the leading centre forwards of the season (applause).
Sam Hardy, whom the club signed on from Chesterfield before the season was commenced, was called upon when Ned Doig injured himself, and so well did he keep guard in goal that, after once gaining a place in the senior ranks, he never lost hold of it (hear, hear).
He reminded the meeting that the club had won the Liverpool Cup five times, and the last season’s victory somewhat recompensed for the downfall of the colours in the English Cup. With regard to the latter, they extended their sincerest congratulations to the Cup winners. It was high time that a city full of football enthusiasm like Liverpool should have the English Cup brought to the Merseyside (applause).
During the season several of their players, as usual, were ordered to the front to serve their country, and Alex Raisbeck, the respected captain, was not only capped, but was chosen to captain of the Scottish side. Billy Dunlop, too, received a cap, and Maurice Parry and George Latham played for Wales in representative matches.
Bradley played in the Inter-League and North and South match. Further awards of merit have to be recorded in another sphere, as Mr. John McKenna was as energetic as ever in carrying out the duties of a committee-man of the managing section of the League. Mr. McKenna had been re-elected also to the chairmanship of the Lancashire Combination (applause).
After paying a tribute to the services of the players, Mr. Watson stated that the following players had been signed on for next season: – Goal: Sam Hardy and Ned Doig. Backs: Alf West, Billy Dunlop, Percy Saul, Tom Chorlton, and Harry Griffiths. Half-backs: Maurice Parry, Alex Raisbeck, James Bradley, George Latham, James Hughes, Sam Hignett, Charlie Wilson, and George Fleming. Forwards: Arthur Goddard, Jack Parkinson, Robert Robinson, Joe Hewitt, Sam Raybould, Jack Cox, John Carlin, Robert Blanthorne, John Graham, and Jack Lipsham.
A noteworthy addition to their playing strength was the signing on of Percy Saul, who was transferred by Plymouth Argyle.
In conclusion, he said they had always been a club of ups and downs (laughter). He trusted they had finished with the latter, and that upwards was their future motto (applause).
Messrs. Briggs, Parr, and Worgan were re-elected directors, and the meeting closed with a vote of thanks to the chairman.
(Source: Liverpool Daily Post: June 12, 1906)
The Chairman Mr. Edwin Berry.
AGM report from the Cricket and Football Field
The first annual meeting of the Liverpool Football Club since its reconstruction a year ago was duly held on Monday evening, when, according to expectation, everything passed off most harmoniously.
Mr. Edwin Berry presided over a large attendance of directors and shareholders. The Chairman, in moving the adoption of the report, spoke of the club’s record season of 1905-6, wherein the men had pulled of three trophies, including the championship of the League.
Mr. Berry explained what the directors had done in purchasing the ground from Mr. William Houlding, a purchase that would be completed in 1907. He treated of the ground improvements’ scheme.
Their enclosure would comfortably accommodate 40,000 spectators before next September, although not then completed. When this latter is accomplished Greater Anfield, we are assured, will constitute one of England’s best equipped grounds.
Additional shares will shortly be issued, the allocation of which will be made pro rata in favour of original subscribers. The resolution was seconded by Mr. John McKenna, and unanimously adopted, whilst the maximum five per cent. dividend was declared.
Following this, Mr. Tom Watson, in a characteristic speech, reviewed the season’s doings, and the brilliant series of successes achieved by their players, whose greatest quality, he said, had been consistency. The splendid manner in which three awkward gaps had been filled in the team by Sam Hardy, James Bradley and Joe Hewitt were subjects for special appreciation by the popular Secretary.
He did not apologise for mentioning the fact that the Liverpool Club had on five occasions won the Liverpool Cup, and last season’s victory therein he considered compensated them somewhat for their overthrow in the English Cup semi-final at the hands of Everton. But he wished to extend to the Goodison organisation their heartiest congratulations upon at last bringing “The” Cup to Merseyside; it was high time it did come here.
The additional honours won in other spheres during 1905-6 by Director Mr. John McKenna and players Alex Raisbeck, Billy Dunlop, Maurice Parry, George Latham, and James Bradley were also commented upon. The three retiring directors (Messrs. William Coward Briggs, Arthur Parr, and Albert Worgan) were re-appointed.
(Cricket and Football Field, 16-06-1906)